Alaric grabbed her hand, "I'm fine Emma."

"But you weren't."

"But I am now."

"Your ring didn't work."

Alaric sighed, "It worked mostly, I'm still here."

Emma was suddenly choking on her words, unable to form any. Alaric pulled her down, making her sit on the edge of the bed while he hugged her.

"I'm not going anywhere, you're stuck with me, okay?" Emma nodded into Alaric's chest, "Now help me get this tape crap off of me."

Emma let out a soft laugh and started to turn off some of the monitors while Alaric pulled the wires off of himself. They were half way done when a doctor entered the room.

"Mr. Saltzman, what are you doing?" She looked at him like he was crazy, "You should be resting."

"I'm more of a 'walk it off' kind of guy," Alaric said with slight sarcasm, "do I need to sign something?"

The doctor began to go over her notes, "Internal hemorrhaging, three broken ribs and a concussion. I have no idea how you're on your feet right now but I need to run some more tests."

Alaric shook his head, "I actually have someplace I need to be but, thank you Doctor..."

"Fell, but the patients that follow my advice get to call me Meredith," the not so subtle attempt to flirt didn't phase Alaric.

"Well, I appreciate the help Dr. Fell."

Meredith Fell set her clipboard down, "Mr. Saltzman, what's your secret? Guardian angel, or did you sell your soul to the devil?"

Alaric and Emma shared an amused look.

"A little of both," Alaric finally answered.

As they were walking out the door Jeremy approached Emma and Alaric.

"Hey Emma," the teen smiled.

"Hey Jeremy," Emma returned the sentiment.

Jeremy turned to Alaric, "So your ring brought you back to life but it didn't heal you, does that mean it's broken?"

"I don't know, it's never happened like that before. I guess I have Damon's blood to thank for the fact that I'm still walking," Alaric said sarcastically.

Jeremy laughed, "He said you owe him a drink."

"I'd rather have the head trauma," Alaric joked before he got serious, "hey Jeremy, are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Jeremy scoffed, "I shot a hybrid in the back and chopped off its head with a meet cleaver. Typical Sunday, right?"

"Badass," Emma high-fived Jeremy.

Alaric gave both of them a concerned look, and Emma simmered down, they both knew that being a human in a supernatural world took a lot out of someone. The constant front of strength and courage you had to show was taxing. There was always a threat of danger from anyone at anytime. The amount of sacrifice the hunter's lifestyle demand was enough to turn anyone away, it guaranteed they stayed small in numbers, but it almost meant that not many people were looking to sign up.

"You can talk to us about this stuff," Alaric looked at the young teen, "you know that right?"

"What could you tell me that I don't already know?" Jeremy asked, "This is the way things are, it sucks but I have to get used to it."

Jeremy walked away and hoped into Alaric's car that he had driven to the hospital to pick the two of them up. Again the pair of hunters looked at the other for the right thing to say.