Rose and Dimitri: Court

“Alright, let’s go.” He was yanked from the cell. Even though they let him off his charges, people weren’t quite ok with him walking free. 

“I know you don’t have a time limit for visitors.” Dimirti said. “I’d like to stay and talk to her about an alibi. “ That got their interest. “However, seeing as you can’t even let her take a shower, I guess you don’t want an alibi.” He stood and went to the cell door. “I’d think you all would be smart enough to know that she’d only talk to her mentor about it and not some strange people.”

I watched my man walk away, his duster moving with him. His footsteps faded and I went back to staring at the wall.  “Ok, wait, you may take her, but there has to be guardians around.” The man said and I heard the cell being opened. The door squealed as it opened and Dimitri stood waiting. I got up and went to him. He offered his hand, but I didn’t take it. He sighed and we walked together.

“Why won’t you hold my hand?” Dimitri asked as we walked across the courtyard to his place.

“I’m scared.” I told him.

“Of what?”

I frowned and looked at the ground. “I’m scared that all this is a dream. That you’re not really here.” I whispered. “I’m scared that it’s all just a joke.”

“This is real. I’m right here.” He told me strongly.

“I want to believe that, but I’m scared to let myself hope.”  Wow Rose. You sound like a wimp. How the hell did you get to be a guardian? I questioned myself.

“Roza,” he spoke lightly. “You’re not one to be scared so by you saying you’re scared I know I have a lot to make up for, but I’m going to try my hardest to make it up to you.’

“Comrade, you really have to stop beating yourself up.” I smiled at him and bumped him with my hip. We stopped at a door and he punched in a code so it unlocked. “YOU LIVE HERE?”

I stepped into a well furnished room. It had tan painted walls and dark green drapes to cover the windows. The carpet was a cream color. There was a black leather sofa in the middle of the room, facing the dark wood fire place. It was homely. I was sucked into a fantasy world.

I sat on the couch with a little, dark haired boy in my lap. He was looking through a picture book. There was a fire blazing in front of us, sending warm waves towards us. The front door opened and my man came in. His hair was down and tucked behind his ears. His eyes were weary from a hard day’s work, but that changed when our eyes connected. In five long steps he had me and his baby in his arms. His lips met the head of our baby before meeting mine. Dimitri my husband and our boy, having a happily every after.

“Rose,” his voice brought me back. “Roza, why are you crying?” I didn’t realize I was crying. I went to wipe away my tears, but he was already doing it.

“I’m ok.” I told him and noticed Lissa snuggling with Christian in front of the fire place. She looked at me and smiled, but in her head it was a sad smile.

“Roza, Roza, you’re not ok. What’s wrong? You were smiling my smile and then you burst into tears.”  Dimitri spoke softly to me.

“I’m fine, Comrade.” I replied. “Where’s the bathroom?”

“Christian will show you where. I want to talk to Dimitri.” Lissa spoke and gave us the look that told us she wasn’t going to let us do anything different. I nodded and Christian stood up. I followed him, leaving Lissa to what I’m sure will be a retelling of my fantasy.

I stripped down and stepped into the hot water that was running from the shower head. I let my mind slip to what was going on with Lissa and Dimitri. “What’s wrong with her, Princess?” Dimitri asked and sat down with her. She ran her fingers in his knotted hair. He sighed and waited.