Chapter 14

Chapter 14 : along the way

I was in a great flame. I erupted, for a long time of hiding what is meant to be shown. I've been the good daughter they wanted me to be in this show. It seems like I am in an actual theatre where I am the princess in a great castle and my parents are the rulers in our great monarchy.

But the moment our queen died, the monarchy lay beside her coffin six feet below the ground.

That monarchy is our foundation as a family and the character we choose to build since I was born was broken by a bullet that made our life reached its downfall.

"Mom is not dead!" I tried to get rid of their filthy hands off my arms but their grip is just tightening. I fell like its going to leave some bruise in my arms but I don't care. "She's just sleeping! Like in the movie!"

"That's enough, Cesia!" Dad's voice thundered in the whole funeral. "This is too much, you spoiled child!"

I can't believe it, daddy is yelling at me. Mom said never raise a voice on me even when I am being naughty. Even when I am being a brat.

I was going to run at the coffin where mom is and tell her what dad did to me but the visitors are glaring at me as if I am some kind of accidental disgrace. So I step back, running away from the place. After all, that's the only thing I am good at.

I run at the road and cried at one of the tree silently giving me oxygen to breathe. I was being loud but I don't care, I am hurt, the only thing I know is that I am  wrecked. It is painful in here, it felt like someone pushes me into oblivion.

"Ano ba iyan, ang ingay mo naman."

My head immediately shifted to the person above me, he was sitting on a big branch. I did not dare to reply at him and run away again, in the dark. It was painful to see that the world is now slapping me with the reality that my parents are making me stay away from.

"Hoy, wait lang! Ito naman, joke lang!" I heard the boy from earlier shouted from afar.

I turned my head on him and he is already running his way towards me. Madilim ang kaniyang buhok kasing dilim ng kalangitan. It was starless as if it was also grieving from their master's death. Mom used to tell me that the sky is as vast as our power. It makes me unstoppable, if I will just believe.

The boy's arm caught mine, he pant as he got me into his hold, "gotcha." He continues on chasing his breath. The moment he recovered, he smiled at me and pinch my nose. "Sabi ko ang ingay mo pero hindi ko sinabing tumahimik ka."

I scanned him from head to toe and figured out that he is just the same age as me. Klaro ito sa kaniyang pangangatawan at pananalita. Sobrang putla niya, para bang karakter siya sa isang vampire movie sa pelikula at ang role niya ay si Dracula. I flinch when I saw some scratches on his neck and some bruises on his arm, that flinch made his hold loosen. I grab that chance to stay away from his touch.

"Ito ba?" He points his bruises and scratches. "Just came from an abusive father." He smiles so wide, umabot ito sa kaniyang mata na para bang wala lang sa kaniya ang natamo.

He then scratch his nape and look away, the same smile rise again and that is my cue to burst again. I run into his chest and cry. I was hugging him the whole time and he was just there, gently rubbing my back as if he is saying that he is there.

I don't know I am crying into a stranger's arms but this is the most comforting embrace someone has given me next to my mother's. His touch feels like cloud 9. As his breath gets heavy every second my tears flow, his hand and my body's contact become something I look forward on seeing every single day of my life.