I thought we would still keep our distance even after returning to the vampire world. My plan was to just attend his sister's wedding, and then go back home once it was safe to do so. Once Damien finds out who tried to kidnap me that is.

I was definitely not planning on staying in the same room as him, just like all those months ago, reliving those memories.

But then I realized it was only for one night. Tomorrow, the guest rooms would be open again and I could just move my stuff then.

"Not like we haven't shared the space before, roomie," I gently punched his shoulder.

He gave me an annoyed look and started walking towards the main doors.

What was up with his sudden mood change?

I felt anger rising inside me, wasn't he the one who invited me here? He definitely wasn't being the best host right now.

Or maybe I was simply irritated by his behavior because I hadn't gotten enough rest.

"But this time you sleep on the floor."

Did I just say that? It was my voice, but definitely not my words, or at least I wish they weren't.

Damien froze mid step, as did the guard and the teenage boy. It wasn't a surprise that they were taken back by what I said, nobody joked around with the king himself, let alone tell him to sleep on the floor. It was like putting one's own hand in the lion's mouth, not a smart thing to do.

I knew we were all thinking the same thing: who's going to plan my funeral.

"Haha, I'm kidding," I laughed, nervously.

Nobody else shared my humor.

Damien turned around, walking towards me.

"Oh trust me, you are going to wish they weren't your words," he said as he leaned down, making me step back in fear. But what he did next surprised me to no end; he picked me up, bridal style.

I gasped, feeling everyone's eyes on me made my cheeks turn red. I wasn't used to being in such vulnerable state.

"Damien! Put me down," I protested against him, but he just continued to walk up the stairs with me in his arms.

As I looked at the flight of stairs that he was climbing, I was suddenly glad that I wasn't walking on my own feet. I would've passed out halfway there, it was no surprise that this place was structured for vampires and not humans.

I looked up to notice how close his face actually was to mine, he gave me a quick glance before fixing his eyes on his route. His face hardened as I placed my arms around his neck to support myself, ignoring the stupid sparks.

Was it just me or they seemed to have gotten worse in the vampire world?

We finally made it to the kings tower after turning into what felt like a million different halls, which were so quiet during this time of the night. He gently pushed his foot against the door to enter his room.

We were welcomed by darkness, the only source of light was coming from the moon which hid behind the sheer curtains of his large windows. The windows were left open midway, a gentle breeze danced through the curtains as a result.

Placing my things inside the room, the guard and the boy disappeared after asking if the king needed anything else, to which he answered no.

I expected Damien to put me down once we were inside the room, but he continued to walk straight towards the windows which were on the opposite side.