Chapter 12: His name was Phil

Loki was frustrated, angry and embarrassed. His plan so close to being completed was just ruined by the Avengers. Loki thought he split the group up and discouraged them from joining forces. Apparently for some unknown reason the Avengers united as one to stop him. Loki felt lied to by the universe. He was raised in Asgard in preparation for great things, his adoptive father Odin said one day he could be a great King. That his life was meant for a Glorious Purpose. The Mind gem confirmed his aspirations by showing him visions of the future.

The gem showed him the Avengers broken and defeated. Fighting amongst themselves as he saw the galactic beings and non galactic beings of Earth bow down to a new king. Loki saw that the one obstacle to these visions coming true was Anakin Skywalker. Loki close to removing the Tessseract from Dr. Selvig's device realized he needed to flee. Somewhere that Thanos or his Leuitenants couldn't find him. Loki would then formulate a new plan in order to kill Anakin Skywalker the Chosen One so that he could fulfill his destiny.

Loki finally removed the Tesseract from his holding place. He could see it glowing but it levitated away from him before he could activate its power. Loki ran after the Tesseract as it continued to float in the air. The Tesseract was gently placed in a metal briefcase. The Space gem was no longer accessible to Loki and he saw Anakin Skywalker with an ignited lightsaber. Loki stared at the look of pure rage on Anakin's face, the bright blue light shining from his lightsaber worried Loki. The hum of Anakin's weapon stood out over the sounds of fighting in the sky and streets below.

"You endangered Padme's life when you manipulated Hawkeye to attack the Helicarrier and then influenced the Hulk to attack her directly. If Obi Wan and Thor weren't there...you then killed one of our closest allies. He was one of us and for that he'll be avenged." Anakin said

"What are you talking about? Every last one of you Avengers is still alive. You being alive is ruining my glorious purpose. Being a King is my birthright..." Loki began to say

Anakin turned around and slashed Loki's arm. Loki screamed out in agony as he fell to the ground. A severe burn mark that ran down his right arm left a dark blackened wound. Loki's magical daggers lay at his side the dark magic powering them fading. The illusion of the nervous Loki explaining himself in front of Anakin disappeared. Loki struggled to his feet but realized that he had no options for escape. Anakin reached out with the Force and Loki levitated off the ground.

Loki struggled kicking the air gasping for breath. This was the conclusion of the vision that Anakin saw when Loki blasted him with energy from the Mind gem earlier. Anakin was so close to fully realizing it and he smiled as Loki drew his last gasping breath. Loki's head slumped to the ground his eyes rolling into the back of his head.

"The Shield Agent you killed was one of us. His name was Phil." Anakin said to Loki's corpse

"Why?" Black Widow gasped

Anakin then felt hot shame wash over him. He'd lost control of his anger and he crossed a line. Anakin knew what he did was against the Jedi Code. Loki had already been defeated and was defenseless. Anakin killed him anyway. Anakin not only killed Loki he enjoyed it and felt a rush of adrenaline from it. It felt good to prove that he was superior to Loki and that he could fulfill his potential as a great Jedi.

"I lost myself just now and I...I didn't realize...I guess I shouldn't have judged you for your past." Anakin said his voice hollow

He bowed his head exhausted and sadness on his face.

"No. If you knew what I did...you would still judge me. I judge myself all the time because Loki was right. My red ledger is gushing red but I will strive to not be that person anymore. You can too Anakin. Padme needs you to." Black Widow said putting a hand on his shoulder

"Thank you for saying that." Anakin said

The Avengers arrived at Stark Tower and Thor stared at Loki's corpse. A mixture of relief and sorrow on his face. He took the body and draped it over his shoulder struggling not to cry. Thor then took the metal briefcase containing the Tesseract and silently walked to the rooftop. Thor said to the group if you need anything contact Jane or Dr. Selvig. He then raised his hammer and disappeared in a colorful flash back to Asgard. The rest of the Avengers sat silently thinking about Phil Coulson about the others that died. They sat quietly for about 15 minutes before Iron Man spoke.

"I'll get us some drinks. We'll pay our last respects to Phil Coulson." Iron Man said

"I thought you said his first name was Agent." Captain America joked

"And I'm still right Phil was his middle name. Hey Obi Wan are you Jedi comfortable with liquor or are you guys too spiritual for that sort of thing?" Iron Man asked

"Anakin and I will have one drink to pay our respects. Anakin you did well. Perhaps we celebrate your impending Knighthood within the Jedi Order." Obi Wan said

"Master are you...serious?"

"I will request that Master Yoda subject you to the Jedi Trials to see if you are ready for Knighthood. For now we drink."

"I'd never thought I'd hear a Jedi say that." Iron Man joked

"Get used to it. Things are gonna be weirder from here on out." Hawkeye observed

"Weird, dangerous or crazy. I'm ready for anything." Black Widow said

"All three are definitely gonna happen at least once but at least I'm not dealing with this alone." Captain America said

The Avengers took their individual drinks from Tony Stark's personal bar.

"To Phil Coulson." Iron Man called out after raising his glass

"To Phil Coulson." Everyone else repeated as they drunk from their glass