Chapter 7

Steady beeping, peculiar stench, bland sobs, shaky breaths, stiff bed and a comforting, warm hand caressing my own cold and still ones. It was both a nerve-wracking and comforting feeling, really. The unknown beep coming from a certain machine near me was as melodic as the Sunday morning tunes on the radio. It gave me this certain comfort. An assurance, maybe. Although I am not quite sure as to why it made me feel that way. The unfamiliar scent lingering all throughout the dense air was sickening, though. I mean, it was kind of hard to breathe, for some unexplainable reason but the scent still somehow seeps through my nostrils, making my head hurt more than it is. The shaky sobs and breaths are the only sounds coming from another living human. All I can hear beside those agonizing tunes are the sound of the air conditioner and the beep that first came to my senses before. Lastly, the warm and comforting thumb that has been lovingly caressing the back of my palm and skinny fingers that are laced with my own. The contact of this person's skin against mine gives me this certain calming feeling, making my heart swell with loving affection.

It's a weird feeling, to be honest. All I could do is hear and feel. Something deep within my mind is convincing me to open up my eyes but I just.. couldn't. I want to move my limbs so bad and it's weird. It feels like I've been holding on to this position for days. I tried to peel my eyes open but I couldn't I tried to turn to my side but I couldn't. I tried to stretch my legs but I couldn't. But when I tried to move my fingers, it actually worked, kind of. Instead of really moving, my index finger kind of flinched, making a very small and secluded movement. Just as I was able to do that, the stiff material of the bed shifted its weight and the hand of the person who was resting beside my arm tensed. I heard a gasp and quite loud shouts and frantic yelling from one side of the room to another. Few moments later, two unrecognizable voices joined the room. Before I knew it, a rough finger was touching my forearm and a certain spot somewhere near my neck.

I am patiently waiting for what was next to come. As my heart beat started racing frantically, the beeping sound kept up with its pace, unstably telling the people around me some sort of a secret message that I am not sure of.

"What did he say?" A female's voice echoed throughout the still and silent atmosphere, breaking the tension with a somewhat strict and worried tone.

"Usual stuff. He could still hear us most of the time and-" It was my mother who answered but was quickly cut-off before she could even finish. She sounded too worn-out, as if she'd say the same thing over and over again for a long time.

"W-Will he.. wake up?" The female voice from before asked, her voice sounding shakier by the second.

I heard my mom sigh and a hand that I didn't noticed that was loosely latched on my arm subconsciously caressed my skin, their fingertip somewhat tracing an imaginary line. "Kailey, we're not yet sure." My mom finally answered, sounding sad herself.

"I shouldn't have left him. I-I should've stayed. I should've taken the scholarship from that university near our house. I-" My sister was already crying before she could even finish her dubious thoughts. I knew I wasn't wrong when I felt her fingers brushing off some hair that was resting on my forehead, tucking some strands behind my ear.

"It's no one's fault, Kailey. Don't put this on yourself." My mother cooed.

"N-no. I was being so selfish. I-I could've done something." My sister ranted on, placing a shaky kiss on my forehead.

"We were all too preoccupied with our own businesses to notice that he was hurting." My mother admitted the saddest fact that had been swimming around our naïve household for far too long.

Nothing was said between the two after that. It's clear to assume that they both agreed to what my mother admitted for the both of them.