Chapter 4

It has been a few days since that encounter with Vic in the library happened. My mind was still hazy from the thoughts that I've been pondering about. Every little thing that Vic told me held something. A secret message of some sort that I couldn't unveil myself.

Weekend had gone by and I once again found myself walking down the same old corridor with a bag slung on my slouching shoulders. I was that person who doesn't actually hate Mondays as much as other people do. Well, guess what. That fact actually changed today. Unfortunately, I would have to start off the day with Maths. I don't really hate the subject, it's just that Justin wouldn't be in that class with me and instead, the glorious Vic Fuentes would be; not that I'm complaining. I just think that I should be keeping an eye on Justin since I don't want him to keep on failing his subjects.

 For the past few days, Vic and I had been hanging around whether in school, walking to my house or even during the past weekend, we've managed to squeeze in some time to hang out and play video games at his place.

"Hey." I felt a soft nudge on my shoulder, pushing me off from my deep thoughts as Vic sat on the chair next to me, dragging it a little so that we were practically sat next to each other with a limited space separating us.

"Hey." I muttered, a small smile instantly sliding on my face.

"How's your 'Sunday family day'?" He mocked me as he drew air quotation marks with his fingers, laughing in the process.

"Shut up." I laughed. "T'was fun, actually. We had lunch in this place down town, near the beach and we bought new stuff for my room." I proclaimed with a shrug. I didn't go into details since I didn't want to sound as if I was bragging or anything.

"Yeah?" He looked up to me, sounding genuinely interested. He stared at me for a few seconds before his face changed its expression. The smile fell from his face and was immediately replaced with a worried expression. "How- how does your arm feel?" His eyes scanned my arm, uncertainty evident on his face. Ever since that little scene that happened in the library, Vic kept on asking me about it. Hell, a day wouldn't even pass by without him asking me about my arm.

"For the hundredth time, it's fine, Vic. Don't worry about it." I said and gave him a reassuring smile. To be honest, I could still feel a slight tinge of pain in the lower region of my arm, near my wrist but other than that, it doesn't hurt that much anymore.

He muttered an okay as time soon rolled by and the Mr. Butler entered the room. I am proud of Vic and of myself. He showed me his make-up quizzes and I was ecstatic when I saw his high marks. Overall, I'm just glad that our tutoring sessions are paying off. Since he could now actually catch up with the lessons, I can't help but to think that he might not need me around him any time soon. What if this thing between us would only stay now since he needs my help? What if one day, he'd just tell me that he doesn't want to hang out with me anymore because he doesn't need anything from me? The thought bothered me throughout the entire period and my foot started jittering uncontrollably, a habit that I've developed.

"Hey, you alright?" Vic's voice snapped me out from my bothered thoughts as I came back down to my senses. I looked around the room and noticed that it was indeed the end of the period as students started filing out from the room.

"Uh, yeah. I-I'm fine." I said with a shrug. I slung my backpack to my shoulders, grabbing my notebook from my table and was quick to exit the room, not even bothering to wait for Vic. Soon enough though, I felt a hand on my arm, causing me to flinch instantly.

"Really, what's going on?" Vic asked, clearly not minding the second bell that had just rung signaling for the start of the next class.

"I told you, I'm fine. Just- let's just go. I don't want to be late." I was silently begging him to just drop it but he didn't looked all too convinced. I had my next class with Justin and thankfully, Vic isn't going to be there. I just wanted to turn around and run far away from him but there was no point in doing so since he had his fingers wrapped tightly around my now hurting arm. "Y-You're hurting me." I sheepishly said, looking at him through my clouded vision. And just like that, Vic's grip softened and he had this apologetic look on his face, his thumb subconsciously rubbing comforting circles on my fragile skin.

"I'm sorry." He muttered. "I'm just worried."

"Don't be." I replied, finally looking at him. "We really have to go. I'll talk to you later, yeah?" I was desperate for an easy escape and luckily, Vic finally agreed and nodded although his face told me otherwise. He still looked unconvinced and worried but somehow, as weird as this may sound, I didn't like the look that he gave me. Sympathy. Something inside me boiled up- not in anger though. I felt so disgusted. It was an intense feeling and I didn't like it one bit. It felt like proposing to someone in front of a massive crowd while you're down on your knees only to get publicly dumped by the person in front of you. It was sickening and I felt like throwing up. "I-I have to go." I quickly said and went to run in the nearest bathroom.

"Kells!" Vic shouted through the door but I locked it before he could even reach me. I melted instantly and dropped to the floor as an overwhelming feeling flooded throughout my entire body. I was breathing heavily and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I didn't know what to do. Hell, I didn't even know what was happening to me! After a few moments, it went quiet on the other side of the door. I let out a breath as I tried to calm down my nerves. I went over to the sink and cupped an ample amount of water, splashing it against my cold face. I steadied myself and gripped the edge of the porcelain material. My head was in a hurl and I felt awfully dizzy. I closed my eyes tightly in the attempts of easing the pain but it was put to no use. I felt a sudden twinge as if my skull was recklessly and repeatedly whacked against a wall.

"Kellin, open up!" It was Justin. Not like before, a lot of weight lifted from my chest. I didn't know why but it felt like I couldn't be around Vic. Not yet, at least. The horrible thoughts made me so anxious and I just wanted to curl up and rest. Call me dramatic but it's true. I slowly walked my way to the door, careful not to trip over my own feet since my vision was still spiraling. I twisted the knob and as soon as a different wave of air hit my face, I felt nauseous. I was about to fall, face first but I'm just so glad that Justin caught me to his arms.

"Kellin?" He tried to shake me from my nearly-blacked out trance. "Let's go. I'll bring you to the nurse's office."

"I want to g-go home." I said, barely whispering. My head was hurting and I felt a profound inclination on my chest. "Shit." I muttered as I clutched my shirt, my eyes tightly closed as tears started running to my cheeks.

"What-what's happening?" I didn't even noticed Vic's presence until he held me for support. I couldn't even stand on my own feet at the moment.

"I don't know man." Justin sounded frantic but I really couldn't control the surge of physical pain that was shooting straight to my skin and through my bones. I was panicking myself but I didn't know what to do. I was so focused on trying to block out the pain but my mind was too clouded and all consciousness was out in the situation. "I'm taking you to the nurse's office."

"No, please!" I pleaded desperately. I knew I needed a professional help of some sort but I didn't want to go in there. There was nothing wrong with me. Or so that what I've been trying to tell myself. There's just this certain vibe about the nurse's office and even the hospitals that I just couldn't stand. "I just want to go home, please."

"Are you fu.cking sure?" Justin asked, cupping my cheeks to force me to look up to him. He was scanning my face, as if trying to examine what the hell was going on with me. I doubt that he could even point a finger as to what was wrong though. I, too, didn't have an ounce of idea as to what I was going through.

"Y-Yeah. I just want to rest." I muttered, gathering up all the remaining energy to even speak.

"Alright then." He finally gave in and hastily grabbed my bag and all other school stuff that I had managed to drop on the cold, tiled floor.

"I'm coming with you."

"No." I quickly said. Vic looked rather hurt but I just couldn't be around him just yet. The feelings that I felt because of the pathetic thought of him treating me as if I'm nothing made me an emotional wreck in a matter of seconds. I have to sort myself out first. "Thanks though. For helping." I muttered the last part for the sake of both our sanities. I knew I wouldn't be able to baggage the scrutinizing guilt feeling that I would be dwelling on later. Vic nodded in understanding, picking up his bag from the floor. Without another word, whatsoever, he turned to his heel and walked off to his next class.