Chapter 42: Defying Odds

I stood in the terminal dawning my brand new Jamie Benn Canada hoodie.

"Ready for this flight?" I ask Jordie as we are both patiently waiting to board.

"No, not even a little" He scratches his beard in nervousness.

Jamie was already in Russia with the rest of team Canada. Today, Jordie and I had a flight out to Russia. It was a late flight, boarding time at 9. I knew myself well and I knew I would end up sleeping for most of the flight.

I had to admit I was excited, I was excited to see my best friend conquer one of his dreams. I was beyond excited to stand there in the crowd and cheer for him.

Jordie, well Jordie right now looked like a hot mess. He was beyond nervous for this flight and for the games to come.

"God I must love my brother" Jordie sighs as we get closer to the gate.

"Aren't you excited?" I ask him

"Yea yea" He rolls his eyes.

Later in the flight, at 3 in the morning, I began to toss and turn restlessly in my first class seat. Everyone around me was sound asleep but I found myself staring up at the plane ceiling.

For past few nights visions of Tyler and I's wild night have been haunting me. I've only gotten around four hours of sleep each night because of it.

The worst part was, I don't understand what they mean. I don't understand why I can't shake them.

I didn't know if maybe it was guilt that was haunting me, that maybe somewhere inside me I knew I shouldn't have done any of those things with him.

But another part told me I was foolish. Everything with Tyler felt so right. I didn't know if maybe I'm suppose to be with Tyler. I couldn't stop thinking about how just his touch soothed me, calmed all my nerves, how just looking at his face made me happy.

I slip my hand under my shirt and to the side of my rib cage where my fingers trace my tattoo. I wish I could know what I was feeling that whole time with Tyler, maybe than I would know the answer...

---

"Rise and shine!" I yell to Jordie as I pull my Benn jersey over my head.

"It's like five in the morning" he groans

"In America! Not here silly" I laugh. First game was today, let me tell you the security in Sochi isn't fooling around. We needed a whole two hour extra start just to make it to tonight's game on time.

"Can't I just stay here" Joride mumbles as he rolls over to his back.

"If you want to miss your brothers game" I say, that was enough to get the grumpy man out of his bed.

"Yea yea" He rolls his eyes before heading into the bathroom. When he comes out, he dawns his Benn jersey.

After we get through all of security and are in the arena Jordie and I find our seats. Immediately, the Olympic sized ice is noticeable.

Patiently Jordie and I both waited in our seats for puck drop.

"Jamie wants you to go to the locker room after the game" Jordie whispers in my ear. Than he slips me a pass. I curl my fingers around it and look at it in awe.

There was talent in that locker room. PK Subban, Sidney Crosby (Who I haven't seen since the gala), Tavares and so much more.

Now the game, the game had me squeezing Jordie's hand till it went numb.

But than it happened, Jamie scored against Norway. I had never jumped from my seat so fast and I have never cheered that hard. I remember Jamie being snubbed from orientation camp but here he was, defying all odds

and scoring

Jordie and I hugged each other, tears in my arms as I looked at the replay.

That was my best friend, that was my brother.