4

Date: 13 August

Time: 18:30

From: babybear

Dear Jungkook

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. I went to bed early last night because I had to work all day today and had to get up at an unreasonable hour.

Yes, New York has always piqued my interest. I'm a little fish who has spent the majority of my life in small communities. I suppose you could say I aspire to swim in a larger pond.

The last cutoff for Columbia was definitely the ninth; however, the chairman of the English department has been a little more accommodating. However, I anticipate my time will be up by the end of the week. Life is like that.

No, I don't believe it makes you a bad person. People should always take a keen interest in the activities they enjoy. And if you can afford it and your hobbies keep you occupied, why not?

Okay, consider myself persuaded. I will not file a lawsuit.

I'm, as ever, interested to hear about these bad points you talk of, Jungkook.

And, given that you just talked me out of a much-needed scholarship, I believe you owe me some sort of recompense. So, come on, 'fess up!

Yours,

Taehyung

This time, Taehyung left his computer on, curious to see if his reply would be as quick.

Standing up, Taehyung went downstairs to dispose of his dishes, quickly washed them, and got himself a drink. Taehyung was all set for the evening; maybe, he wouldn't have to come downstairs again, and he'd be able to get away from Jooan for another night.

When Taehyung returned to his room, his computer screen was flashing at him, so he locked the door fully. Closer examination revealed that Jungkook was actually quick to respond.

To: babybear

Sent: 17 August

Time: 18:32

What is your surname, Taehyung?

Uh?

What was the point of asking for his surname? Why would he ask such a question if he didn't know this man? And so soon? Was that... normal? Certainly not.

Date: 17 August

Time: 18:35

From: babybear

Um, may I ask why you want to know, Jungkook?

He was quick to respond. And Taehyung meant that he blinked – and a fresh message appeared. His relic computer would not be thrilled with him right now.

To: babybear

Sent: 17 August

Time: 18:38

Taehyung, my intentions are not bad. I can assure you of that. I do, however, require your surname.

If knowing my name puts you at ease, it's Jeon.

It didn't.

There was no reason for this man to be interested in learning it. Wasn't that a little scary, he thought.

Taehyung frowned as he glanced at the screen for a long time.

Is this the catch? Was Jungkook some kind of insane person who got a kick out of making young people uncomfortable by luring them in with his wicked charm and then going for the kill?

Sicko.

Taehyung was not stupid. He was an avid newspaper reader. Something like this happening was always a possibility. Was he a prey of a predator?

Taehyung's screen blinked once more, and he scowled when he realized it was from Jungkook.

He opened the email with trepidation.

To: babybear

Sent: 17 August

Time: 18:43

Believe me, Taehyung, I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable.

I have connections at Columbia, and all I wanted to do was gain you a little more time. Someone as intelligent and eager to learn as you should not be forced to give up their future just because they fell through the cracks in the educational system. Fighting your way back up can be exhausting, as I've learned from past experience. I simply wish to help.

I don't want to be a source of worry for you, though. You are under no obligation to inform me, and I will not press you to do so if you do not want to.

I was just offering a hand, little fish.

Taehyung's eyes started to burn.

Little fish — that was him.

However, it was not achievable. Surely this... this stranger was nothing more than a figment of his imagination? He had never had such fortune before so what was this?

Wasn't this a colourful and well-timed sequence of events? Had fate interfered, taking away the spanner in his works and replacing it with... what? A silver spoon?

This is not something that happened to people like him. They simply didn't. Cinderella's story was just that: a story.

Taehyung, on the other hand, had three days. Three pitiful days to respond to everyone. And he thought he'd die a little inside if the response were to be, 'No, I won't be able to study with you.' This time, Taehyung's dreams will be wiped away for good.

'Taking a leap of faith' was constantly mentioned by people at times; could Taehyung achieve it? He didn't appear to have much to lose at this time. This was the final straw.

Steeling himself, Taehyung inhaled a deep breath.

Nothing to loose...

Date: 17 August

Time: 18:48

From: babybear

Kim. My name is Kim V Taehyung.

This time, Taehyung didn't get a prompt response.

For the next hour, everything was dead silent. And it had been the most exhausting hour of his life.

Taehyung was waiting for the best poker face across from himself to show his ace, as if he'd just played his last hand.

The computer dinged.

To: babybear

Sent: 17 August

Time: 19:56

Mr. Kim, you have some time on your hands.

We, on the other hand, do not. If you're serious about doing this, I have a proposition for you.

I'll be in Atlanta next Monday (the 23rd) to oversee a new project, and I'd like to meet with you. I'd like to make you an offer.

Google might be able to help me fill in certain blanks that I don't have time to fill in myself right now.

Yours,

Jungkook.

••••••

thoughts?

googie has a proposition... *melts*