𝟨

—

Elliot took my hand as he led me downstairs, the three guards already stood at the bottom, waiting for instruction. Elijah's eyes flickered to my hand, though I didn't try pulling away from Elliot, as I knew that he'd presume it was purposeful.

I knew that today was one of the very few days I got to spend a short amount of time in the Garden, especially since the Ball would begin while I was gone. To my surprise, Elliot chose to send a guard with me each time instead of himself.

"Which one of are you willing to spend no longer than thirty minutes in the Garden?" Elliot asked the three. Matteo's eyebrows pushed together in confusion, Alessandro had his arms folded across his chest with his head slightly tilted to the side, whilst Elijah raised a brow and shifted his gaze to me. I played with the buttons on my coat.

"I'll take her."

My eyes widened at Alessandro's mutter. My God, his voice was deep. Gravely, yet with a hint of smoothness to it. It was definitely deeper than the other two's.

"Very well, then," Elliot said. Alessandro's eyes met mine, and they looked less hardened than usual. "Elijah and Matteo, you two are with me."

Elijah and Matteo spared a glance with each other, and I swore I could catch a grin on Matteo's lips before they followed Elliot elsewhere, likely to help set up for the Ball tonight.

I waited for Alessandro to do something, lead me somewhere. But he only stood there and watched me, before finally tilting his head in a small nod. A silent way of telling me to lead. I blinked and reluctantly walked passed him, headed down the hall.

I went the same way Elijah, Alessandro and I went when searching for the screeching sound. Finding the large, grand doors, two guards moved slightly closer to one another to block the exit. 

"We cannot let you through without Prince Elliot's permission." The one on the left spoke. He's not a prince, I thought, barely. Just because his father is the King who lives a few kingdoms away, does not mean he acts like a Prince.

"I'm one of his personal guards. Alessandro Moretti. If needed, you may call him and ask for yourself." Alessandro stood tall, taller than the two guards, and I stood silently at his side. My eyes widened, I had never heard him speak so many words at once.

The guards exchanged looks, and the silent one send a small nod to the other. Separating, they made room for the two of us to pass.

Alessandro didn't thank them, just walked right passed the two and out the doors. I quietly followed behind him, sending a small smile to the quiet guard. When I turned back, Alessandro was already looking at me, and eyebrow raised in impatience. My feet unconsciously kept walking, and his expression calmed as I finally caught up with him.

The chilled air nipped at my cheeks when it hit my frame. Involuntarily, I pulled my coat sleeves further down my arms.

Walking further out, I smiled in relief at how the garden wasn't left too dirty. I haven't seen it since the end of fall, so it's less vibrant now, but still beautiful.