𝟧

—

The ball was in a few nights.

Once a year, we'd prepare a ball in the Grand Room. Elliot was the one sending out invitations, as I could only attend for the dance. Last year, it was a masquerade ball. And as I got to dance with Elliot then head back to my room, everyone else was there the entire night.

This time, it doesn't have a theme. And although I don't get to spend the night talking to everyone, I'm excited for them.

So, I begged Elliot to have him let me help set it up.

"But I can be such a good help," I bargained. Elliot sighed through his nose. "I don't even get to be there, can I at least do something to help decorate? I'm good at decorating."

"You do get to be there," his eyes narrowed on me. "You're going to be dancing with me. Remember? This is the third ball we've prepared, Marella. You get to go every time."

"But you don't let me speak to anybody," I reasoned. I just wanted to help decorate, even if it's for such a small amount of time. "Just... for ten minutes? At least?"

His chest lifted in another sigh. Licking his lower lip, he finally nodded. I beamed, a wide smile crawling onto my lips. "You will not speak to anybody." He raises an eyebrow. I nodded, I already knew that rule.

He tilted his head in a nod for me to follow, and I happily walked on his trail down the steps. At the bottom of the staircase, there stood Matteo, Elijah, and Alessandro.

Elijah.

My eyes widened when I saw him, everything from last night hitting me at once. He touched me so sinfully, so freely as if he'd done it too many times before. I couldn't understand how he had made me feel so euphoric, but I wanted him to do it again. Though, I'd never tell him that.

I got knowing glances from Matteo, and even Alessandro. Why were they looking at me as if they knew everything about me? There's zero chance Elijah would have told them anything. Especially something so personal like that.

My mind switched from confusion to guilt. I was engaged, to be married to Elliot, and I had let something happen that was so wrong in so many ways.

Even Elliot has never touched me like that.

The realization completely dragged my mood. I could never do that with him again.

As much as I wanted to.

I followed Elliot into the Grand Room, surely with the three guards behind us.

The Grand Room was the largest one in the building, perfect for a Ball like the ones Elliot hosted. As my eyes scanned the area, I took in the tall walls on either side. Along with a large, glass chandelier hung from the centre of the ceiling, a beautiful golden glow growing from its centre. The room had multiple tables, enough to just fit everyone invited. I'm sure it was everyone important, including a few lingerers. Except, the maids wouldn't be attending, as they'd be working.

Other than the few maids scattering, only the five of us stood in the empty, un-decorated Ball room.

I smiled and got to work.

Gathering up candles to centre the tables with, a presence was felt behind me. Once I felt a hand on my lower back, I looked over my shoulder to be met with Matteo.

"Let me help you with those, Marella," Matteo suggested in a near mutter. He was so close. Too close. I handed him a candle and he chuckled, taking the rest of them from my hands.

"You don't need to—"

"I insist." He cut me off. As I retrieved the lighter, I walked back into the room with Matteo behind me. Alessandro and Elijah were helping Elliot carry a side table and place it against the wall. Presumably, that's where the drinks would be handed out from.

I collected a candle one-by-one from Matteo's hands, setting them in a line across the centre of the table. Though, he too, made me feel nervous. Like how Elijah does. Matteo was just as handsome, and when feeling his hand brush my waist again, my breath slightly caught in my throat.

He can't touch me like this. Neither of them can. It's wrong, I'm their boss' fiancé. Do they not realize how much trouble they could get in if Elliot knew about this?

He was around the same height as Elijah, tall enough for me to crane my neck to look at him. Though, I think Alessandro was the tallest. Just by a smidge.

Flicking on the lighter, I held it to the candle. When the flame lively bloomed, I carefully picked it up and turned the candle down to the one next to it, cautiously doing this down the row of candles. I found it was easier this way.

Although the ball wasn't exactly tonight, and technically the candles would be useless by tomorrow, there was still dinner to be attended to later today. And, it made me feel like I was doing something, as I know this is the most Elliot would let me do when handling something for the ball.

I placed the candle back at the end, and used the lighter for the last three. Though, no matter how many times I flicked it, the flame wouldn't start.

I sighed in annoyance. Before I knew it, Matteo's hand was on top of mine.

His whole hand, covering mine, easily.

He used his index finger to flick it, and as if he had some sort of magic, the flame started again and he put it to the wick. Once he let go, a dust of cold danced across the back of my hand. I swallowed as I set the flame to the last two, "Thank you."

"Mm," he hummed. It was so small, yet so deep.

I furrowed my eyebrows at a feeling in my stomach, except it was lower than my stomach. It went away after a moment and I blinked. Odd.

"Marella?" Elliot called. I looked over my shoulder at him, seeing Alessandro and Elijah watching me as well. "Are you finished?" I nodded, wishing I wasn't. "Let's go, then."