Chapter 27: To Let Go or To Hold On.

A man with red and yellow hair was leaning on a wall, simply watching the silent and isolated street.
With a don, he took a great swig of the sake bottle he was carrying on his right hand, said alcoholic liquid trickling down his chin and throat, staining his already-messy clothes.

He let out a raspy sigh as he kept contemplating the view with a frown.

The sound of chatter got his attention.
A boy with hair the same as him was walking alongside a female that, in the man's opinion, seemed very familiar.
His hands and legs began to shake, his lips quivering and his wide eyes staring with disbelief.

"...Ruka?" The man breathed out shakily as he saw the female approach his home, his son Kyōjuro at her side.

His small, hopeful smile vanished when he saw that the woman was indeed no woman, but a child.
A mere infant.

You formally bowed in front of him, smiling softly.
"Good evening, Mister Rengoku. I am (y/n) Hanayo. Pleased to meet you."

Said man took another gulp of his drink before scoffing at the pair.
"You found a real looker, Kyōjuro. Not only good-looking, but she has the airs of a rich kid. So you finally decided to quit the demon slaying corps and settle down with this girl. About time!"

"Sir, with all due respect, this is a misunderstanding;" you said calmly "your son will be training me these following 4 days in order to become a better demon slayer."

The man's eyes widened, yet his angered expression never left.
"You're also a demon slayer??"

"Yes, sir." You replied with an endearing tone, bowing once again "I'm forever grateful to be sheltered under your roof. Please do bear with me for the time being and I shall do my best to be no burden to your household."

He took a great swig from his drink before walking back inside his house.
"You better not wake me up with this training nonsense."

"Thank you." You said, watching the man leave.

"I apologize for my father's behavior." Rengoku said in a small hum.

"It's alright, you're not the only one whose father is...difficult.." you said, looking away for a small second.
"Mine is excluded from the picture, even. He is more of a stranger than a father, if I am honest."

Kyōjuro felt sorry for your situation. No, not in a pitiful way. It was more in a concerning manner.
"Well! Shall we head inside and show you where will you be staying?"

You nodded.
"Please do."

[1st Person P.o.V.]

So this was Rengoku's household.
Well..the Rengoku's household, more precisely.
A beautiful, grand home with plain yet lovely decorations. It had such simplicity yet it felt worthy of respect.

Rengoku-san (the older son) showed me the guest room and, while two of my kakushis helped me accomodate, he went to prepare the training room where he would be instructing me.

I was told beforehand by Rengok--Kyōjuro-san that his father was a complicated man, reason to why I had to reduce the number of my helpers in black attire by a lot. Up until now I kept Maya-san with me, as well as Kanata—a kakushi that used to work for Obanai-san.
Ah, and Kitsu has to stay out of Rengoku's father's sight. From what I can remember with Mitsu-chan, Rengoku-san (father) is not very fond of animals. I don't want to cause any problems.

As I finished putting my belongings in order, I heard a knock on the sliding door.
"L-Lady Hanayo! Dinner is ready!"

It was the voice of a child.
Maybe around Kirigaya's age. Perhaps older?