Chapter 6: Swords and Lanterns and Reencounters.

Fujikasane mountain was astonishing.
Its wonderful and vibrant gamma of lilac colors was beautiful and mixed perfectly with the moonlight. It also seemed to give a soft and smoothing scent.

"It's so pretty." Kirigaya said with awe, looking around.

"Indeed it is." You smiled lightly, clenching your sword with a tight grip.

Kirigaya and you, over your usual clothes, wore matching haoris that Kasane made for you two. While your haori was (f/c)-colored with (2/f/c)-colored patterns, Kirigaya's was (2/f/c)-colored with (f/c)-colored patterns.

You both looked calm and composed, unlike the other participants who either had fear, anger, grief, or angst written in their faces.
There was this girl with a dim, distraught gaze and a small smile, but besides her, you and Kirigaya, everyone else had negative expressions.

"Tanjiro.."

Your head looked in all the directions it could. Your heart was beating rapidly at the mere thought of Tanjiro being near.

Of course, Kirigaya took notice of your uneasiness and hard-to-contain joy.

"What's wrong?" Kirigaya asked.

"Tanjiro's here..!" you breathed out and looking frantically at everyone in the selection. There was this one boy with a hairstyle you swore you've seen before, but your mind was too set on finding Tanjiro that you didn't cared about guessing who that was.

You were so desperate to find him that you decided to look for him in the most old-fashioned and loud way--yelling.

But, Alas! The selection started before you could muster out a single word.

"Welcome everyone." two children said in synchrony with a soft yet monotone voice. They were almost similar but the hair and hairpin differentiated them.

What intrigued you was that the voice of one of them was slightly deeper than the other's.

"Thank you for joining the final selection tonight.."

While they explained the situation, the mountain, and the rules, your heart was beating faster as each second passed.

"Are you ready?" You asked Kirigaya, holding his hand. You hated to admit it, but you were utterly scared at the moment, so you relied on Kirigaya to ease you down.

He looked at you and nodded.

"If you survive the seven days, you will pass;" the black-haired kid said, then both of them bowed "let the final selection start, we wish you all the best of luck."

While others ran, you and Kirigaya calmly walked into the mountain.

"Our priorities are food, water, and health, so we will focus on our well-being right now;" you said "they never said we had to kill demons, they only said we have to survive."

"I can get rid of bugs!" Kirigaya smiled "And if we look at the plants, we can find water."

"Sounds good to me."

The deeper you went into the mountain, the darker it got. There were corpses everywhere. Both from people who took the test and from demons turning into dust.
You looked at the expressions of each one of them. They were angered, scared, sad, or shocked.