Chapter 20: The Child, The Baby Bird, and The Silver Cage.

As always, that night, Mother was out of the house, attending important political meetings.
As always, there I was, sitting idly in front of a mirror as a servant combed my hair.
As always, I was alone, despite my young age.

Brother was living at da--...at (father/name)'s dojo, training hard so he could get Mother's approval. I believe that at some point he will grow to loath her as much as everyone in this family.

Sister is somehow still in this home. She still hasn't given in to Mother's insults and hurting words.
She still hasn't been pushed away...like Tatsuya.

"I request some lone time, I am too overwhelmed." I said, my child voice quite noticeable and matching my words not.

"Yes, Hanayo-dono, as you wish." The servant nodded, leading me out of my room and closing the door behind her. She stood next to the sliding door, watching me walk away.

I plainly looked at the walls and floor. They held no decoration whatsoever. It was all pure nothing.

A sweet smell emanated from the kitchen, inviting me inside.
There stood my sister, kneading dough so laboriously. I silently admired her, hiding behind the door frame.

"Need anything, sis?" She called, smiling lightly as she kept skillfully kneading the white dough.
I jolted when she noticed me, making me come out of my hideout and face her. I, with a straight posture and locking eyes with her, approached my sister.

"May I be of your aid?" I asked. My sister seemed to take a moment to process my request before laughing lightly.

"You can pass me the red bean paste." She finally said, her laughter now gone but a kind smile now remaining. I nodded before quickly searching around the kitchen until I found a dark reddish paste on a bowl. I soon picked up said bowl and presented it to my sister.

I helped her knead the dough and stuff the dough balls with the red bean paste. She opened the big oven we had and carefully placed the tray with raw bead bread inside.

"Don't get too close to the oven, (y/n), you can get hurt." my sister said. Only in rare occasions I was called by my first name. It made me happy.
I nodded at her instructions. She smiled once again as she patted my head.
"Let's clean this place up."

I was washing the dishes while my sister swept the floor. Though we didn't talked much, it was an enjoyable moment.

"You know? I'm thinking about leaving Asakusa.." she said almost in a mumble. I glanced at her, tilting my head.

"What for?"

"I want to be away from this place and 'Mother'..to try and live my own life somewhere else..." She replied before looking at me intensely.
"And, well, if that's alright with you, I want you to go with me."

I widened my eyes, gasping silently. I was really surprised by her daring request.

"I know you already have a life here;" she continued "a man you're supposed to marry, a path you're supposed to follow, but you can do so much and be so free somewhere else. Whatever you choose to do, I will support you to the fullest. My husband and I don't really mind having you with us, so don't think of yourself as a burden."

I stood idly, looking at nothing, my thoughts consuming me--no..haunting me.

What was I required to answer?

What was even the right answer, to begin with?

I belonged here, all my life has been planned already.