Chapter 14: The 2nd Polaroid

Start from the beginning

Clay Jensen: Jess. Jessica.

Jessica Davis: Hey, Clay, what's up?

Clay Jensen: We have Justin.

Jessica Davis: What?

Clay Jensen: Over the weekend, Tony and I went down to Oakland.

Jessica Davis: But how did you know...? You saw the postcard. You fucking snooped through my room?

Clay Jensen: He wants to help. He said he'll testify, he's, um... a little too sick at the moment, but...

Jessica Davis: What do you mean sick?

Clay Jensen: From being homeless. Look, he's at my house. We're taking care of him. If you want to see him or...

Jessica Davis: I don't.

Clay Jensen: As soon as he's better, gonna take him to the Bakers' lawyer. He can back up Hannah's story.

Jessica Davis: It's not Hannah's story, and it's not his story, it's mine. I don't want him telling it.

Clay Jensen: Jess, listen. Listen to me. Justin wants to help.

Jessica Davis: (Whispering) Shut up, Clay.

Bryce, Scott, Monty, Zach, & Chlöe walks pass by them as they all head off to class. Later on, Chlöe invites Jessica to a party at Bryce's house in hopes of getting Jessica a upstanding legit boyfriend. Instead of staying at school, Jessica convinces Alex to skip school with her and they ask Zach to borrow his car. They go to The Crestmont to watch a movie. While buying popcorn from the concession stand, Alex once again remembers something. He remember back to the night when he & Jessica went on a date at The Crestmont, only for Hannah to be working that night. It was when they were dating behind Hannah's back. Alex remembered when Hannah questioned Alex when they first started dating, he blows her off and lies to Jessica that Hannah lost her cool about them dating. Alex sits down as Jessica checks on him.

Jessica Davis: Hey. You okay?

Alex Standall: Yeah. I'm just tired.

Jessica Davis: No, not just tired.

Jessica sit down next to Alex.

Alex Standall: That night that we came here, and Hannah confronted me?

Jessica Davis: Hmm.

Alex Standall: I said that she was obsessed with me, and we should stop being friends with her.

Jessica Davis: Yeah, but that's not your fault.

Alex Standall: Yeah, but I fucking lied, Jess. She was just hurt, and then she called me out on it, and I got embarrassed, and I said we should stop hanging out with her. I'm... such an asshole.

Jessica Davis: We're both assholes. I got up there in court and tried to help the Bakers, but I just ended up making everything worse. I just kept remembering all of this stuff. I don't know, I just wish I could wipe the slate clean and start over.

Alex Standall: No, you don't. It fucking sucks.

Jessica Davis: I'm sorry, I didn't mean...

Alex Standall: No, I know.

Jessica Davis: How about after the movie, we both go see Hannah.

Alex Standall: Yeah. I would love that.

Alex & Jessica both go in to watch their movie. Clay finds Tony at his locker as he approaches him.