Chapter 13: Jessica's Testimony

Start from the beginning

Clay Jensen: It was surgery.

Skye Miller: It was stitches, mostly.

Clay Jensen: We had a deal.

Skye Miller: It was a stupid deal.

Clay Jensen: You told me cutting didn't mean you wanted to die.

Skye Miller: I don't wanna die. I told you that and you don't understand.

Clay Jensen: Then help me.

Skye Miller: I can't. Because I don't understand it either. It's like I have all of these feelings, and I can't control them, like I'm a visitor in my own mind. And if I don't catch my breath, I'll burn up and blow away. And I know you wanna save me from that, and I love you for it, but you can't.

Clay Jensen: Then what can I do?

Skye Miller: You can figure out your own shit, and I will figure out mine. Apart.

Clay Jensen: Wait, you're... you're breaking up with me?

Skye Miller: I'm sorry.

Clay Jensen: I love you.

Skye Miller: I know. That's... (Sighs) That's why I'm telling you to go.

Clay Jensen: This isn't fair. 

Skye Miller: We have to be done, Clay. I'm sorry.

Clay gets up and begins walking, then turns around...

Clay Jensen: I'm not just going to disappear from your life.

Skye Miller: You already do. You... You think about Hannah, and you disappear. So just do it for real this time.

Clay leaves the flowers and leaves the hospital as his mom drops him off at school. Meanwhile at Liberty, Alex informs Jessica in the cafeteria that someone sent him a shooting target with a message that says "Better Luck Next Time".

Jessica Davis: Holy shit, Alex.

Alex Standall: Yeah.

Jessica Davis: (Sighs) Who's doing this?

Jessica lift up the target sign.

Jessica Davis: Hey, can you tell whose handwriting?

Alex Standall: Jesus, put it down.

Alex takes the target paper away from Jessica before anyone can see it.

Jessica Davis: Sorry. I just... I'm really sorry, Alex.

Alex Standall: So you're not alone in this.

Jessica Davis: Sorry I said that. That was really shitty, I'm just... (Sighs) This is just a lot.

Alex Standall: I get it. I know. Wait, your hair is different.

Jessica usually has her hair curly, but today for curt she has it iron down.

Jessica Davis: It's court hair.

Alex Standall: I don't like it.

Jessica Davis: (Scoffs) Noted. What the hell happened to your face?

Alex turns around to see Clay joining them with a bruised face as he sits down with next to Alex.

Clay Jensen: Someone ran me off the road last night. Someone in what looked like a black Range Rover.

Alex Standall: Bryce.

Jessica Davis: You're not testifying.

Clay Jensen: Does he know that?