Summer Once Again

IN ONE OF THE most pleasant neighborhoods of Colorado was the infamous townhouse of the Crow Family

During summer nights, when there were no classes to wake up to tomorrow, one would think kids would be up late, watching cartoon movies, having a bunch of sleepovers, or skateboarding around the neighborhood's pavements. As if adults would ever allow that. But at least those kids still had another week of summer to enjoy.

This particular evening (and many many evenings before), all was quiet at the two-storey townhouse of the Crows. Andy was indulging himself in a pastime of which even his parents held no knowledge.

First, he set the mini table he got from their basement with a pretty cloth and his best un-chipped tea service his aunt lent him. The setup was so dainty and perfect that someone who knew him would have blinked at this strange hobby. Before summer, his hands would be all over his trinkets and inventories of tiny tools. But after going home from his aunt's place in South Carolina, he would set to work with his inventions from morning till afternoon. At night, well, no one exactly knew what was happening behind the closed doors of his room.

One morning in a bookstore, he had received very funny looks from the clerk when Andy showed him a book about the things a young girl his age liked. And his aunt almost choked on her tea when Andy called the next day, asking if he could borrow one of her tea sets.

Strange how the kid acted but no one knew what caused the change.

"I've forgotten a spoon and a fork for the cake," Andy realized. He ran carefully down the cramped flight of stairs that led to the kitchen. He opened the china cabinet in the pantry and stood in his tippy-toes to pull out his mom's silver spoon and matching fork.

He hurried upstairs, laid the spoon and fork next to the cup, and put the kettle on the hob.

Then he proceeded to wait. Andy never knew that preparation for a tea party could be tiring. But the book said girls loved to do this. She might love this.

It looked like madness: setting up a small tea party for four (if he would count the two animals), which in the end would be left untouched.

It was almost three months since he reappeared on the front porch of the Crow household, facing the anger and displeasure of his parents which was more geared towards his aunt. They blame her more for being an irresponsible adult. And when the time came he had to ask them if he could visit Hearthstone, they were not thrilled about it and straightaway said "no."

But he kept himself going with hopes and dreams, with memories of talking flowers and wolves and killing trees. And on certain nights, when it felt right, when the moon was friendly and he didn't recognize all the stars, he set out two cups of tea and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Of course, things happened at a different pace in Emerraine even if the years matched up.

"I have so much to tell her. Aren't you too, Chip?" said Andy and the dog just let out a lazy groan and went back to sleep. "Don't lose hope, Andy," he said to himself, "She'll come. And maybe she'll bring Hex with her too."

The mantel clock in the other room continued to tick-tock.

As midnight approached, Andy sighed and stood up to clear the dishes. Again.

At midnight oh one, a golden glow appeared outside his bedroom window. Andy left the lonely piece of cake on the table as he peered down. Chip woke up and bounded next to him in anticipation. A silhouette, one was smaller and the other larger lurked in the shadow cast by the leaves of the old sugar maple tree.

Upon seeing it, Andy's face reflected the moon's glow.

"Elsie!" He sighed and opened the window.