Andy's in Charge

THE CREW hadn't said a word to each other ever since they safely landed on the ground

For almost half an hour, they skimmed over the gnarled treetops, for the cluster of dead trees stretched far wider than they thought. The Tree Guards of the Enchanted Tree kept stretching their skeleton branches in an attempt to pull them back down and punish them severely for being such thieving kids.

Night cloaked in the entire sky. The sun bid its goodbye for the day, and the moon peeked from behind the clouds. They trudged the needle-covered forest floor; the grass was crispy under their feet. Surrounding them were skyscraper trees, so thick and healthy that tiny animals like squirrels, geckos, owls, and birds lived in them. There were even beetles, snails, and frogs hiding in plain sight.

The harmony of scents was ineffable. It felt like they were breathing for the first time, and they never feared what the forest might bring to them. Despite the cold of the dead night, they did not feel alone. There were many kinds of a wanderer with them: big, small, winged, furry, and crawling.

Near treetops, there were flocks of tits playing and chit-chatting. A Siberian jay fluttered near Elsie's right ear, twittering a song to her. She giggled as the bird perched on her shoulder.

"We are always open for more companions, little bird," she said, scratching the bird on its chin. It was said that a Siberian jay must be greeted, for the bird might be a guide in the woods.

Andy huffed and hastened his heavy footsteps. Elsie's smile faded as she jogged to catch up with him.

"Andy, what's the matter?"

But Andy ignored her question. He tightened his grip on his bag's straps, and his head pointed straight ahead.

Elsie, Chip, Hex, and the little bird exchanged glances. None of them knew what to say.

They glanced around. A few colorful mushrooms sprouted at tree roots and between cavities of rocks. Elsie hugged her stomach when it growled. Her mouth salivated just at the sight of those cute colorful mushrooms, but the Siberian jay pecked her cheek and shook his head. So, Elsie could do nothing but pout and ignore her hunger.

"Okay, that's it!"

Andy stopped on his fast and heavy steps and turned around. Elsie, Hex, and Chip jumped back, startled. The jay bird's wings fluttered. He sang a high-pitched complaint, pecked Andy on the forehead, then flew towards one of the trees, disappearing behind its thick leaves.

Elsie, Hex, and Chip looked at each other warily, seeing Andy's dark and immense aura seeping. All the animals from the vicinity scampered around, finding a place to take cover. Some dove behind the bushes. The others climbed the steep trunks of those towering trees. But the three, pinned to the spot by Andy's red hot glare, stood huddled together, shivering.

Andy's cheeks puffed out. His face was purple and twisted from the extreme feeling that wanted to burst free from his chest. There were just too many things he wanted to say and do at the same time. Bruises and scratches littered his body from being flung by that tree, all because of someone's mistake. He wanted to run to his mama to have someone cure his wounds and soothe him to sleep. He wanted to call for his papa to save and defend him from any monsters who would come his way. Unfortunately, he was stuck in this world with careless and unreliable companions.