The Witch of Fairton Hill (Part 2)

THE DOOR slammed shut

THE DOOR slammed shut. Light, windswept footsteps followed. Everything was silent as the witch's ragged breathing grew further down the hallway.

The only thing Andy could hear was his own breath. Even Hex and Chip were frozen as they stared fearfully at the door as if any time the old hag would barge in and find them hiding in one of the rooms. They were lucky enough that the room closest to them when Andy made an involuntary noise was unlocked, so they slipped in. The room was such a mess as if someone had torn it apart in rage. All the things were tipped over on the floor.

"Is she gone?" Andy mouthed to the two while pressing his ear to the door. Chip imitated him and strained his oval ear, and listened.

How should I know? Hex hissed, seemingly not pleased by this turn of events.

"You're a cat!" Andy whisper-yelled at him. "Your sense of hearing should be four times farther away than humans. Well? Is she far enough?"

True, Hex said thoughtfully, and they grew perfectly silent and strained their ears.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Only the repetitive mutterings of the clock could be heard despite the five living beings occupying the mansion. But maybe that was because, despite having visitors after such a long time—Andy, Hex, and Chip were suddenly engaged in a game of hide-and-seek.

All clear. How about you? Hex said to Chip.

Ain't hearing anything, bud.

Good. Let's go, and make this quick. I can't stand being in this place anymore, said Hex, shivering.

"Then the more we can avoid creating a noise, the better," Andy said as he turned the knob and pulled the door gingerly, wincing when its hinges made a squeaky noise. But luckily for them, the coast remained clear in the hallway. "We don't want the witch spotting us, or else our heads will be stewed in that nasty cauldron of hers."

They tiptoed down the hall, pausing to look behind them as the hair and fur on their back stood at the odd feeling of being watched. Despite the egging warning in the back of his mind, Andy led the two away from the squeaky floorboards with deft, opened the door the smallest crack, and slipped through sideways.

The inside of the room was much larger than it looked from the outside but so dark and cramped and filled with indistinguishable things that the effect was much less grand than it could have been. A primitive fire burned coals on the floor without a ring or anything around to contain it. Its pitch-black smoke billowed in a single spiral like a twister, passing through the wood ceiling planks with ease.

"Wait," said Andy before Chip could nudge the door shut. He slid the small traveling backpack he sneaked out of his aunt's closet off his shoulders and rummaged through his various trinkets. The clanging of metals against metals and baubles against beads came from inside the bag. What those things were for, Hex didn't know. Even Chip never had an idea! Sometimes, he could not understand how Andy's head worked. The boy would call himself smart, but Chip wasn't sure anymore.