Y/n hummed to themsleves, taking their time as they watched the people walking passed by them, almost as if they were unnoticeable. Even to tell the truth, despite the bubbly façade they put up with, none had ever noticed the movement of Y/n一especially their mysterious presence.

A cold feeling landed on top of their head, and another one landed. Filled with curiosity, Y/n reached their hand out for the snow, its prickling coldness nipped on their bare fingers. The snow they used to find fear of, somehow reminded them a god whom stood by their side.

The man whose amber eyes they couldn't forget, the kindness and warmth radiated when no one's around to keep Y/n company, such deeds couldn't they forget. "Zhongli, what kind of shoes will fit you?" A question slipped from Y/n's mouth, with no one to answer of course.

'Hmm, he isn't much of an old man, he doesn't have money, he's also not too young considering he must've lived for more than a century...'

Until...

"Come and look at our newest shoes! The quality is unrivaled for!"

Bingo.

....

'Hm, what time is it now?'

The moonlight shone brighter than any kind, the cold lonely night was left shun with its grace. As Y/n passed by the hall, there they found the man whose gaze fell straight to where the moon was.

Zhongli sat by the seat, staring up to the satelite with his blazing amber eyes with the gaze... full of yearning, as if he longed for something.

"Zhongli, do you have any change?"

"Ah, I don't seem to bring any money at the moment. But for what if I may ask?"

The man quickly snapped his gaze from the moon, his gaze landed on the person he'd found comfort tonight. The usual loneliness of the snow, coldness reminded the darkness of their past, it's all nothing but a small worry with Zhongli's presence.

Y/n walked closer, shrinking the distance. Then, they kneeled  in front of him with a red box on hand. "Here, I give you money and you give it to me back."

Zhongli knitted his eyebrows in confusement but nodded anyways. Y/n took out their pocket money, handing him a few gold coins of mora, then they brought their hand out. "Now please give it to me."

He did as ordered.

Y/n revealed the red box's inside一its red leather shoes decorated with speck of gold leaves under. Carefully, they brought his feet up. "Excuse me," they said, taking his shoes off and replaced it with the new ones. The soft touches of their hands as they accidently let their fingertips swept with his feet in process, brought his heart to beat rather faster.

The touch of a human... how long had it been since he felt the utter gentleness and warmth from the fingertips alone?

"In Liyue tradition, gifting shoes is forbidden as it can strain our relationship. So you have to pay me even just a mora一ah, beautiful!" Y/n exclaimed, looking at the shoes they picked with proudness stuck up their chest. "Even if your aspects are already beautiful, shoes are still important if you want it to get along with your outfit," they added.

He was left silent, now the only thing both of them could hear was the rustling sound of the tonight's winter breeze.

As a god, Zhongli was used to do everything he could to protect his people and underlings, even went so far to sacrifice something in return of peace. Lost a lot of people on the way here, even lost the last person whom gave him sincerity... he could no longer bear to loose another.

He simply couldn't.

"...Y/n."

"Yes?"

"Do you, by any chance, want to meet the chosen husband?"

The h/c haired person fell silent as well. Dwelling deep into their thoughts before smiling back with their usual smile. "Nope, I don't think so. He might be wandering to Celestia knows where, but he doesn't have anything to do with me anymore."

"How so?"

Still kneeling, Y/n reached out for his face, the palm grazed against his cheek softly一with warmth clearly conveyed by a touch. "I will not yearn for someone whose presence is only here for show. Afterall, I have you right now, don't I?"

Benelovance radiated from the iridescent e/c eyes, each lingering warmth brought the odd addiction to him. Feelings he thought he had burried centuries ago, popped up everytime those mystical eyes gazed up at him.

The reason their 'husband' didn't show up was because he was there with them this whole time, patiently watching as they grew into a stronger human, searching for them for the past centuries whilst other telling him he shouldn't bother with the past.

He was their husband.

"If a god shows up saying he's your husband, what will you do?"

"Hm... maybe I'll welcome him first then I'll ask about the reason why he's only shown up now."

'Even if I say I've been watching you all along?' He thought.

"But... why are you asking me all of the sudden? Does it have anything to do with the goddess before?"

"You knew the woman I talked to was a goddess?"

Y/n let out a lighthearted chuckle, "Yes, I do. I told you I've been serving gods when I was a priestess. But she... I don't remember meeting her."

Zhongli stiffled a small smile, unconsciously he brought his hand on top their head. "When you have just been greeted to the world, she blessed you for you to live a happier life while the curse doesn't take a toll on you yet. Those were the days where life seems to pass by fast."

"R-really? Then I ought to pay respect for her!"

And...

Had he ever mentioned he too, fell in love with the side of theirs? "I believe there's no need to do so right now." He gently lifted his hands, landing it on their cheeks as if bewitched by the world's magic. He fell into temptation, desire to keep them all to himself, at least away from the word of 'danger'.

"Since I can't repay for the shoes, let me give you my blessing."

He softly and gently placed his lips on the crown of their head一rather long enough, not even giving a care about his heartbeat. "Should you be away from danger."

There's no hope in turning Y/n's decision to let the curse eat them, so for now... until he found the way to break it, he'd stay by their side, watching with a silent gaze from afar.

'I love you.'

Those three little words he couldn't say were for him to keep.