Chapter 11: The Trial Begins & The 1st Polaroid

Start from the beginning

Skye Miller: I used to, a long time ago.

Clay Jensen: But those are recent. You're supposed to call me if you even just think about it. Where are your rubber bands? Have you been trying meditation?

Skye Miller: Meditation is the most fucking boring thing in the world.

Clay Jensen: Then we're going to take a mindfulness walk.

Skye just scuffs at Clay.

Clay Jensen: I'm fucking serious, Skye. I will do whatever I have to do. I will text you every hour. Okay.

Skye Miller: Okay. I'm sorry. I promise I'll call.

Clay Jensen: Okay.

Clay & Skye decided to call it a night. Skye drops Clay at his house as he makes his way inside where his mother is working on a case as goes to the kitchen to grab a drink.

Laine Jensen: How's Skye?

Clay Jensen: She's good.

Laine Jensen: You should invite her in. We haven't seen her since, what, the 7th grade?

Clay Jensen: She hasn't really changed.

Laine Jensen: We'll have her over for dinner.

Clay Jensen: Um, Skye doesn't really do dinner.

Laine Jensen: She doesn't eat?

Clay Jensen: I mean, no, she eats, just not in situations with parents.

Clay begins to make his way upstairs when...

Laine Jensen: Clay, I need to talk to you about the trial.

Clay Jensen: What? What trial?

Laine Jensen: Hannah's trial. It's moving forward.

Clay Jensen: What? You told me it was settled.

Laine Jensen: We thought it was. But the Bakers rejected the district's final offer today. It starts tomorrow.

Clay comes back down and joins his mother at the table.

Clay Jensen: Tomorrow? How is that possible?

Laine Jensen: They were up against the trial date. At the last minute, the Bakers rejected the settlement.

Clay Jensen: So, I'll get to testify about Bryce?

Laine Jensen: Sonya did tell me that you're not on either witness list.

Clay was shocked that he won't be testifying.

Clay Jensen: Why not?

Laine Jensen: Clay, each side chooses witnesses based on a variety of factors.

Clay Jensen: Bryce raped Hannah. Why is nobody talking about that? You heard his confession. You heard everything, before you dropped out.

Laine Jensen: I didn't drop out of the case. I withdrew because your involvement created a conflict of interest.

Clay Jensen: Well, I'm not involved anymore, so can someone do something?

Laine Jensen: Since Hannah is still in a coma, if we knew the girl on tape 9...

Clay Jensen: Mom, it's not my place to tell you that.

Laine Jensen: If she would come forward...