Chapter 10: It Has To Get Better

Start from the beginning

Clay Jensen: I gave him the gist of his.

Clay puts the last tape back in it's case and hands it over to Tony.

Clay Jensen: I'm assuming you want to make a copy of that to keep your set complete.

Tony Padilla: And then what?

Clay Jensen: Sheri texted me last night. She went to the police herself.

Tony Padilla: What happened?

Clay Jensen: I don't know. But if she's facing up to it, and we have Bryce's confession...

Tony Padilla: What about going through the cycle like Hannah wanted?

Clay Jensen: It's time we stop thinking about what Hannah wanted and start thinking about what she needs. And Jessica. And every other girl who "practically begged" Bryce to fuck her.

Tony Padilla: I gotta tell you, Clay, I am not sure that this is the right thing to do, and even if I was, I don't know where we stand. We can't be righteous. We've been sitting on evidence for weeks.

Clay Jensen: Either we do something now, or we give it up tomorrow in that deposition. There are half a dozen kids going in there today. Who knows what happens with them.

Tony Padilla: This tape... This tape blows up the world.

Clay Jensen: Which is what we should do, don't you think?

The depositions are now underway as Zach, Marcus, & Courtney were deposed. While that was going on, Clay called Jessica and asks her to meet him at Monet's. Jessica told Clay on the phone that Justin told her the truth about Bryce. Jessica agreed to meet with Clay at Monet's as they sit at the table were she, Hannah, & Alex used to sit together.

Clay Jensen: Thank you for meeting me.

Jessica Davis: You were the only one who tried to tell me the truth.

Clay Jensen: Are you... I promised myself that I wasn't going to say something stupid like "are you okay" or "how are you doing," because, like, how the fuck do you think, right? But... how are you?

Jessica Davis: How the fuck do you think?

Clay Jensen: Yeah. Do you need to... talk to somebody? See somebody?

Jessica Davis: Who?

Clay opens up his backpack and takes out the tapes.

Clay Jensen: I'll burn these. I'll light them on fire and let them burn until they're... I don't know, melted plastic and ash. It's your call. But if you want to fight... if you want him to pay for what he did to both of you, until Hannah wakes up these tapes can help. They're proof.

Jessica Davis: You want me to tell the whole goddamn world what happened to me?

Clay Jensen: I want you to do what you want to do. Whatever's going to make this better for you, if anything can. But I'm not gonna lie. I want him to pay for what he did.

Jessica Davis: Will he, though? I mean... have you listened to the last tape? You know what happens when girls try to get help?

Clay Jensen: I listened to the last tape.

When Clay got home after confronting Bryce, he listened to the last tape which was the conversation between Hannah & Mr. Porter.

Clay Jensen: And I think I should pass the tapes on like Hannah wanted.