لوگ | People

I deadass forgot about this update, but it's here.
Ramadan Mubarak babies <3

Chapter 21.

Winding into the foot of the flat topped hills that aligned with the plains of Punjab, safe guarding the federal capital of the city, the motorway seemed never ending. Driving uphill, the SUV moved at a turtle's pace. Slate grey the roads had at this particular part turned an ashy grey, the salt from the hills tended to do that. It was known for the slippery roads and the deep loose soil with sparse vegetation. Goats and cattle only seen sporadically amongst the throngs of cars that whizzed by through the centre. Loose gravel crushed underneath the heavy tires. A backdrop of nudes against the sights of black and whites — a magnificent spectacle of power. Of God.

Slinging through the crowd of cars that stopped near the edge of the road as rain poured over, the bulletproof car moved by, the indicators blaring. Volatile, the vipers swished against the windshield. Rapid droplets smacked the roof of the car with harsh paces and slid down the car's sides. Moving at a rough angle as the air blew against its sides — hardening in their perfect shapes, rubbing the pearl exterior of the charcoal vehicle. In the dark clouds that roared beneath, it's engine kept the strength up to par. Defiance — temperamental defiance in front of the smothering lightning, a talent true to the owners.

Terrors seized her throat as the car moved up the road. The pressure at the ends of her claves, met with the pain in her ear drums. Clenching and then unwinding the bones of her jaw she angled her head to the right side, curving a palm around her chin to stare at his chiseled face. Sleep blurred her vision still, tearing her lower lids away from the upper ones forcefully. A cramp popped itself into the apex of her lower calf, freezing the nerves at the tip of her toes underneath her tennis shoes. Wincing, she straightened the bent foot, moving it over the thick carpet, raising her eyes to meet the sights outside.

Rubbing her eyes with the crook of her index finger, her lips wrapped around the chilled bottle of water, drinking it in one large gulp. The mixed shadows passed through the windows and reflect on to her warm skin as they continued to drive at a pace of forty kilometers an hour, her hand in his over the console — a soft tune playing to keep them company. Picking at her scalp with the back of her nails, Barekhna felt the nervousness creep up her spine as they crept uphill, a sharp turn in front — all the more reason for her to loose breath. The water struck the back of her throat with an instant pain. A cough fought it's way out of her throat.

Fatigue trimmed her shoulders, the bun her hair was in tugged at the roots with a sharpness. Her hands massaged the throbbing temples — a result of the drive they were on. Long drives did that to her, especially ones in such a tense situation. Aliyaar's great grandfather was in the hospital, ailing with a heart disease and the doctor had yet to fly in from England. A panicked Lilah slept in the back of their car as they drove with Aliyaar, his eyes covered by rimmed spectacles. Her parents in law had left for Islamabad before them, her mother-in-law was hysterical as soon as she received the call from her mother and the rash tears had not stopped. Barekhna had been reminded of the call her mother had gotten when she was a child. The grandmother she had never known had died. It was an emotionless title to her, but seeing the pain on Aliyaar's face she realized it was more than just that.

Under a scrutiny she popped a piece of minty gum, the explosion of freshness melted on her tongue and trapped her mind. Barekhna at-last felt awake. The dull aches in her body seemed to have found a permanent home, even as she straightened the sweatshirt she had borrowed from Aliyaar over her waist, the yoga pants folding over. Stretching in her seat Barekhna turned the heater away from her face. Sharp stings pricked her throat. The demure weather outside was unforgivable. It's darkness matched not the time the clock struck on her phone. Eight minutes past eight in the morning. The sky matched midnight.
Bleak.
Black.
Blinding.