ابتداہ | Beginning

Chapter 18.

"I'm so sorry for hiding everything from you Barek jaan."

Gingerly her mother pressed the curve of her lips against the top of her head, her soft hands pressed into the flesh of her face in sincere apology. The eye's that had been in a life been the symbol of calmness, changed into a piercing of a corrupt display, her heart ached. Limp and lifeless the once articulately displayed locks of hair lost their life in a single night — or perhaps it had been more, her childhood best friend turned lover turned friend, was dying. A mortifying loss, and all they had was each other.

"Don't stress mummy, you're going to give yourself a high blood pressure."

Barekhna kissed the inside of the palms that had cradled her ever since she was born. Wrapping the length of her fingers around the width of her arms, she placed it in between her palms. Running her eyes, the shade of liquid molten gold, over the top of her mother's hair, down the worried face that had lost the life inside their eyes. Barekhna was worried to say the least. Slipping her fingers through the greying hair that had yet to be touched up — the flossy blonde peaking from beneath, she felt her heart lurch.

Seated on top of the Egyptian cotton bedsheets with her legs tucked underneath the curve of her behind, an organza veil lay discarded in her lap. The loose sleeves patched up with a lace of white organza and silver thread work, grazed the back of her mother's arms. Thin earrings dangled from her earlobes and the peach lipstick added an uncharacteristic softness to her allure. The pear and freesia tones from her perfume sifted through the thick burning candles inside her childhood bedroom. Gasping for air she stared at the eyes that were pale, swelled up from the sight of her mother that was suffering.

Upon their return a few days ago from London she had held herself back, not barging into her parents mansion had taken a lot more than just willpower. Fighting her father — a title that was still hard to grasp, she had forced the man to change countries just like she had done once. There was a gaping hole in the centre of her chest that was sore, it hurt still and she was doing her best to ignore it's affects. Seeing her parents in their home, with pale faces and heart broken eyes did the damage no good either. There was no satisfaction, nor was there any disregard. Tears had been shed so slow that anyone from a distance would have failed to notice. Only her husband and brother held them, guiding her into the bedroom where her mother relented at last.

"I know that it's a huge change Barekhna. Forgive me my love, all I wanted as a mother was to give you a good life and I—" she broke down, her withered shoulders shook like a leaf in a wind, "failed. Failed you!"

"Mummy you did not. You were selfless in giving up your life, love and future for me." She spoke.

"You had the right to know," Sophia sighed.

"I had already guessed that it was a possibility. My childhood pictures were similar to dad's, a part of me wished to be related to him as well because abu's family is no good." She sniffed, "it's just hit me out of the blue and to know after a decade I have nothing but a handful of months with him. I'll be okay mummy, I promise."

"Oh I know my little princess, even if you won't be I know Aliyaar will pick your pieces."

Sophia stared into her daughter's eyes for the first time that night. Streaks of red the originated from the centre of her soft eyes ran into the deep lines of kohl, spectacles of tiny brown marked the otherwise calm territory, the drops of tears thick like the diamonds of great rarity slid down her cheeks once more, though her daughter's hands tried to wipe them. Touch seared her in that moment as the throb in her heart reached the end of her spine, she would not change her decision, not even in a heartbeat. For her daughter's sake though, Sophia's heart broke, into pieces of flesh and shards that would have to wait to pierce her husband who had been the epitome of selflessness.