Chapter 17

Esther Waters ~ Wolfswood

In blistering speed arrows soar through the sky towards the various targets standing in the grassy field. Esther's movements are swift, precise, and almost perfectly executed. From the corner of her eye, she sees a wooden pole with a small circle emerging from the bushes. In a swift manner, she turns and releases an arrow. It lands near the center in barely a minute. Esther releases a deep breath.

"By the gods, Esther! You're amazing! In barely a few minutes, you took them out," Ryons says as he emerges from the bushes with a smile. Esther stretches her arms before looking around the field. From the thirty arrows she fired only three missed. An acceptable failure rate in her opinion.

"Thanks, Ryon. You've been a great help. But the real deal will be more difficult," Esther says as she turns to Ryon with a small smile. "So, when are you going to Ironrath to enact your plan?" He asks. Esther sighs as she starts to collect her arrows. "I don't know, but a distraction or an event may be helpful. But those walking in the field will be disposed off soon," she says as she collects her arrows.

Ryon nods a bit as he starts to help. "Do you know where they are?" He asks. "I'm not sure, but most likely near the Ironwood forest that lies in the direction of Highpoint. They have been cutting down trees like crazy there. Seems like a good place to start," Esther explains while putting the last arrow in her quiver.

"I'll first go to Ironrath. Rodrik needs to know what I am going to do. In the event that something happens with Gryff," Esther says as she walks with Ryon towards her house. Ryon has been busy these last few days. He is still training with the sword, but Esther clearly sees he has another talent. A talent for building.

Her house as been extended with two extra rooms. One extra bedchamber and one smaller room for storage. Ryon was rather disgusted by the old room under the floor. Esther did not complain as she saw him working the last few weeks. She could use the extra space and Ryon had something to work on.

Ryon nods as they enter the house. "I hope you'll teach them a good lesson, Esther. Bad people should be punished," he says with conviction. "Mhm, I agree. But Ryon, you cannot just kill anyone that you dislike. Always make sure that it is deserved. Otherwise, it will make us bad too. Don't forget," Esther says as she walks to her satchel, picking it up. Ryon sighs a bit. "I guess..."

"Well, anything I need to say to your family? Or bring back?" Esther asks. Ryon shakes his head. "No, not really. How long will you be gone?" Esther strokes her chin for a moment to think. "Couple of days, I think. It depends on how long it will take to find the men. I have enough of food in the storeroom. You just have to throw it together and wait for it to cook," Esther says eventually. Ryon nods in understanding.

"Good luck, Esther," Ryon says as Esther starts to leave. "Thanks, little man. When I come back, you're going home."

Talia Forrester ~ Ironrath

Talia saw the desperate people hoping to find shelter and food in Ironrath. Ever since the Whitehills are spread over their land, they pushed people away. Burned and cut down the forest. That's bad since people need the forest to make a living. It is why she thought that maybe she could go to storeroom in the kitchen, so that all food can be shared equally. Times are hard and one can't be greedy. But when she got to the storeroom, she found a Whitehill soldier stealing food. The room has several bags lined against the wall. Some meats dangling on hooks, and a few chest filled with some kind of produce. The man currently rummages through a bag.

"Hey! That's not yours to take," Talia says agitated. The man glances at her, unbothered and not caring. "You don't give the orders here, girl. Go away before you regret it," he says as he continues to search for something he likes.