Fourteen

Shorter chapter today because today is rough. Sorry :'{

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Anna, Ben, and Boy all wandered out of the cafeteria and toward the Med Bay. Due to the sensitivity of the medical scan, Ben nervously asked Boy to wait in the Med Bay's waiting room while Anna's scan was done. He was reluctant to let Anna alone, but she assured him it would be fine. Thanks to their emotional connection, he knew she was telling the truth and since they were close, if anything did happen, then he could rush in easily.

     Ben led Anna to a small examination room where a scanning pad lay quietly on the floor, giving off a soft glow. 

     "You know the drill, I'm sure. We've all been through training," Ben smiled at Anna.

    She nodded and moved to stand on the pad. It's glow brightened and the pad warmed as it powered up. Ben asked if she was ready and Anna responded that she was. With that, he entered some information on his tablet and started the scan. A glass capsule slowly lowered down around Anna and she glanced around. This was her first official medical scan; there had been training for the new equipment, but she had never seen the results before. 

     As soon as the glass walls sealed around her, something medical smelling was sprayed and a holographic grid scanner started to move up from her feet. It was painfully slow and she had to keep as still as possible. She watched the bright lights as they moved up her ankle to her calf and then glanced up at Ben.

     Ben was standing near the scanner, his eyes glued to the tablet. He was tapping here and there, completely oblivious to anything going on around him. Anna's eyes widened in horror when she realized the floor vent behind him was open, revealing a gaping black hole. There was a slight flash of color - eyes that gleamed at her from the dark. Panicked, Anna slammed against the glass with her entire body, her fists banging heavily on it. Ben glanced up at her, his mouth open in confusion. 

     "Behind you! Ben!!" She screamed, but the scanner seemed to mute out all sound.

     Ben couldn't hear her.

     The being in the vent reached a hand out, viper fast and Anna instinctively covered her eyes with her hands. Tears formed immediately and she began to sob. She fell to her knees as something his the glass of the scanner heavily. She did not dare look. Another thud, and then a third and forth. There was a shadow over her, tall and bulky. 

      She finally peeked through her fingers and saw not the red of blood like she expected, but rather a glowing green form pressing Ben firmly against the glass. Ben was on his hands and knees, a deep cut on his shoulder, but he was otherwise unharmed. Within the scanner, Anna could hear nothing, but she could see his face was red and he was shouting something. Anna looked up at Boy and found him with his teeth bared, a cut across his face just below his eyes and another, larger, on his back. Thick, dark green blood dripped slowly from the wounds and through the protective film that the aliens had over their bodies.

     And then, with a cheerful and out of place chime, the scan was over and the glass rose. Anna grabbed Ben and pulled him into her arms as she looked around for the threat. But it was gone, the vent cover back on the vent as if nothing had ever happened.

---

no editing sorry, ran outta time.