Chapter Three: Incompetence

Start from the beginning

"Where in Sydney?"

I looked around. "I'm not sure. I call you back." I hanged up.

I looked around but I can't see anything. It's dark. The street signs aren't visible. The car stopped in front of a hotel. I need to charge my phone. I forgot to pack a charger.

He came to my side and offered me his hand. We walked together into the hotel lobby. I want to get my own room. I'll use the card Marcelle gave me. It will bill his bank account but I'll refund him. I declined a card for my account because I'm saving up. He insisted I should still have a card with me in case I need it.

"A room for two please."

"A room for one Signor. We can't share." I narrowed my eyes at him.

He laughed softly and pulled me away from the counter. "I was under the impression that you would show a little gratitude."

"What do you mean? I say thank you, no?"

"I misread the situation. I'm sorry. Let's book our rooms and get some dinner."

We went back to the counter and we got separate rooms. We asked where we can get food and I got a chance to text Rocco the name of the hotel. Mr Dempsey insists dinner will be best within the hotel. He is quiet now. He is just watching me. I'm trying to pick something from the menu. Marcelle makes the decisions because I can never pick one thing from a menu. I chewed on my lip and smiled at my instructor. "What are you ordering?"

"I'm not that sure either!" He laughed. "There are too many options! Perhaps we can start with drinks. That I know something about!"

He called a waiter over. I found a place to charge my phone with the offered chargers. I stood by waiting for a message from Marcelle but there's nothing. He isn't saying anything. I gave it a few minutes before I went back with my phone. I'll continue in the hotel room.

There's a drink on the table. It looks pink. "What is this?"

"Strawberry daiquiri. Give it a taste! It's a girly drink, not the hard stuff!" He raised his glass of alcohol.

I took a sip of it.

"It's sweet! What is in it?"

"Some strawberries, syrup, a little lime. Just a little rum. Nothing significant."

"A little rum?" I asked. I should not drink alcohol with a strange man. I'll pretend to sip.

"Just a little. It's inconsequential."

"I will order what I know. Fries." I closed the menu.

"I'll order the same." He smiled and we made our orders. "Have you always danced?"

"Ay no! I started when I join Juliard."

"Then you must be a natural."

"I learn fast. I try." I shrugged. "How long have you taught dance?"

"About ten years at different schools."

"That is a long time."

"If I may ask, why do you keep looking at your phone? Are you expecting someone?" He looked around.