Chapter 3: What Brings You Here?

Dear Jasmine,

Hey so... I'm afraid I won't be able to get home sooner, gotta make a stop in Manila.  I mean hey, it's just one time zone behind you hahaha. I'll try to finish this so I can get home to you as soon as I can. Miss you.

HB

_.-

    Harlan got off the plane and the first thing he noticed was the heat. Harlan put on his shades as he walked into the tropical country.

    Harlan walked out the airport, past the ladies greeting him "Mabuhay!", past the lovers reuniting after days or months... or even years apart. Harlan sighed in relief as he wore the shades as his eyes looked at them with awe and... a bit of jealousy. His mind started to move towards Jas, but he snapped himself out of it and sat on a bench.

    Harlan sat on the bench, and brought out his phone. He texts something to a mysterious contact as a taho-vendor approaches him.

    Taho Vendor: Hello good sir! Care for some taho?

    Harlan got his wallet and fished out a fifty Philippine-peso bill and handed it to the vendor. The vendor got it and started scooping out tofu. As he did, he looked around and whispered to Harlan.

    Taho Vendor: Marcos is celebrating his birthday in the Resorts World Mall tonight. He usually spends the night in the casino.

    Harlan: Good thing I packed my tux.

    Taho Vendor: How's your flapjack?

    Harlan looks at him and the taho-vendor knows it's not good. He hands Harlan the taho.

    Taho Vendor: Well it better be. Sir.

    Harlan nods. The vendor walks away and Harlan takes a spoon of taho and nods in approval.

_.-

    Harlan walked in the Resorts World Mall at 9pm. He fixed his black bow tie as he walked in the casino.

    Harlan looked around for Marcos. Finally he found him in a flapjack table surrounded by a big crowd. Harlan squeezed his way to the table. It was Marcos facing against one man. Marcos had a ten of spades and four of diamonds, the other person had a six of hearts and nine of diamonds.

    Casino Player: Hit.

    The dealer threw a card at the player. He opens it and it's a five of clubs. The table goes wild. Marcos sighs, he is about to say "pass" when-

    Harlan: I suggest you hit sir.

    Marcos looks at Harlan.

    Marcos: Excuse m-

    Harlan: Please sir, trust me.

    Henry Marcos looks at the cards, then at Harlan. He sighs and signals "hit". The crowd murmurs, the dealer deals a card. Marcos looks under the card and freezes. He looks at Harlan sternly, then laughs. He flips the card to reveal a seven of diamonds. The crowd goes crazy. Harlan smiles.

_.-

    Marcos: You know, I owe you a drink.

    Harlan puts down his glass and looks at him.

    Harlan: Oh no, it was nothing.

    Marcos smiles and sits beside him. Marcos orders a martini and drinks.