Movies and wine

MARIA's POV
"It's been more than a month Ryan. I don't think she's coming back. Plus Aubrey is going to be with me so I'm perfectly safe." She said as she threw the last piece of clothing into her box and zipping it up.
They'd been having this argument since she'd told him about her decision to leave the Wilcox Mansion and return to her house. Everything was going great. Her friends were always close by, even Lia was somehow always around her. Her restaurant was thriving and her baby was getting bigger everyday. She had no reason to fear. And that's what she has been trying to convince Ryan.
He sat staring at her with a look of disappointment on his face.
"Maria listen to me. Just until she's in jail"
She shook her head and walked to him, placing both of her hands on his cheeks.
"No you listen to me, I'm not going to place my whole life on hold for her Ryan. I just want to move on. Please?" She begged softly.
Looking into his eyes, she saw his firm resolve to keep her in his estate melt. She knew he blamed himself for the last time and wanted to protect her.
She gave him a small smile and sat on his legs, with her head on his shoulders. She giggled when he timidly placed a hand on her stomach.
"You're not going to hurt her Ryan. She's a strong baby, just like her mama"
"You think she's a girl?" He said, drawing little circles on her stomach.
"Maybe"
They stayed that way for a couple more minutes.
"Cmon. I need to go. Aubrey is going to have a fit if I don't get home soon."
"I'll drive you"
She smiled. Of course he would.
They walked out of the room, down the stairs together with Ryan carrying the small box she'd packed. Gloria stood at the foot of the stairs and drew Maria into an awkward hug as her stomach stood between them.
"You take good care of yourself now, you hear me?"
"I will"
She waved goodbye to her and got into the car Ryan opened for her.
She loved the Wilcox Mansion but she couldn't wait to be back home.
......................................................................
She was finally settled in and after lots of convincing and promises to be safe, Ryan finally left the girls to their own devices.
"Urrgh I thought he'd never leave!" Aubrey moaned, dropping into a chair.
Maria laughed, lowering herself into the couch beside her.
"Wanna watch a movie?"
"Yeah, sure"
Her phone rang.
"Choose something while I pick this" she told Aubrey as she struggled to get up.
"Hello?"
"Maria! Didn't see you at the Wilcox Mansion."
"Hey Lia. Yeah I left this morning. I'm back at my house"
"Great! Can I come? I'm bored"
"Huh yeah sure. Aubrey and I were just about to watch a movie" Maria answered, looking back at Bree who was telling her to hurry.
"Oh Aubrey is there?"
"Yeah"
"Okay. I'll bring food"
She hung up.
"Was that Ryan? It hasn't even been up to an hour!" Aubrey exclaimed, rolling her eyes.
Maria laughed at the expression and shook her head, walking back to the couch she occupied before.
"No that was Lia. She wants to come over"
Aubrey nodded and passed the bowl of popcorn to her.
They settled in to watch a romantic movie and a couple of minutes passed before Aubrey spoke again.
"Does she seem weird to you lately?"
"Huh?" Maria said, distracted by the movie
"Lia! She's been really weird since she got back. Even Daniel said so"
Facing Aubrey now, Maria frowned.
"Oh I've never really noticed. You know, she sounded really bummed when I mentioned you were here. I didn't think much of it though"
Aubrey opened her mouth to reply when the doorbell rang.
"I'll get it" she said, already walking towards the door.
"Oh look who came around Maria. It's Lia!" Aubrey said in a high pitched voice that dripped with sarcasm but Lia didn't seem to notice as she grinned, pizza in hand.
"Hey ladies. What are we watching." She said, placing her purse and pizza on the table and sitting beside Maria.
"This is so much fun. Just us girls hanging out" she continued, not noticing Aubrey roll her eyes as she sat down.
"Yes. So much fun" Bree replied.
Turning back to the movie, Maria let her mind wander back to what Bree had said and looked at Lia from the corner of her eye. She seemed normal and very interested in the movie.
She shook her head, they were probably overthinking. Lia was her friend.
With that in mind, she smiled at her and settled in to concentrate on the movie.
....................................................................
"Well that was a movie all right" Lia said, cleaning her teary face with the tissue Aubrey passed around.
The movie had moved all three women to tears, even Aubrey who was normally a Tomboy.
"I still think she shouldn't have married him" Bree said, picking up the empty pizza box and wine bottle and walking to the kitchen.
"Oh Cmon Aubrey, they were in love" Lia responded, following her with an half empty juice box and glasses.
Maria laughed, watching them argue.
"Okay ladies. Time to go. We should do this again sometime." Lia said picking her bag and gave them both small hugs with kisses.
"Bye girls"
"Bye" they both answered.
Aubrey gave her a look immediately the door clicked shut. Maria ignored her and walked to her room. She could hear Bree behind her.
"Cmon Maria, you know that was weird"
She halted and turned back to look at her friend.
"No Aubrey. What's weird is you being unnecessarily mean to Lia. She's our friend!" She snapped and walked into her room, locking the door behind her.
She sighed and changed into a night gown. She was so exhausted, she fell asleep almost immediately.
She didn't see Lia stand outside her window staring at her and talking into her phone.