Lia

MARIA's POV
"You sure you're up for this? We could come back tomorrow" Ryan said.
They were parked right outside her restaurant, looking at the strings of people going in and out. It's been two weeks since she has been released from the hospital. Too scared to go back to the place of her kidnap, she'd holed up in the house.
Finally deciding she didn't want to be scared for the rest of her life, she'd told Ryan she was going to resume back to work.
"Yes I'm sure. It's my place Ryan, I refuse to be scared of it." She answered, picking up her purse and giving him a little kiss on his cheek. She alighted and waved at him at she walked into the restaurant.
Pausing at the entrance, she took a while to look around.
She spotted Gloria talking to a server at the back. Scolding was more like it, from the angry look on her face. She walked towards them, a slight smile on her face.
The poor girl Gloria had been scolding had scurried off by the time Maria got to them and Gloria was smiling at her like she hadn't been about to eat the girl's head off few seconds ago.
"What was that about" she asked, hugging the woman that was her friend and Ryan's mother.
"You know these girls. They need to be bullied sometimes. Come, you shouldn't be standing too long, it's bad for the baby" Gloria said, tugging her arm and leading them to her office.
She sat on the couch with Gloria still fussing about her.
"Want me to get you tea?"
"Sit Gloria. Stop fretting. I'm fine." She watched as the older woman gently lowered herself into the couch beside her. This was a woman that was popularly known and respected. A woman that a year ago, she'd have never had an opportunity to talk to. Now she was part of her family and she felt her heart swell with joy and love. She hadn't meant to cry but when she thought about how close she'd been to losing it all, she couldn't help it.
"Maria? What's wrong? Does something hurt?" Gloria asked, slight panic in her voice.
Maria shook her head, laughing awkwardly.
"No no. I just realized how much I love you, all of you. I was so close to losing you guys."
Her lips trembled as Gloria took her hand in hers.
"Hey you're back. That's all that matters okay? And they're going to get her. They're going to punish her for what she did" She said with such force that Maria had no choice but to believe her.
"Thank you Gloria. For everything"
"You're welcome. Now enough with the tears, you have a restaurant to run. I'm not good with the paperwork so you have plenty of that on your table. I hope you don't mind but I employed a new baker, her desserts are to die for!" She said standing and picking up her purse.
"Well looks like I have enough to keep me busy.  Are you going somewhere?" Maria asked as she went round the table to take a seat behind her desk, placing her bag on the floor beside her.
"Me? Yes. I have a lunch date with the moneyed women of New York City. I've missed out on all the hot gossips" She answered, giving Maria a quick kiss on the cheek and walking out.
"Okay. Have fun!"
Now alone, she sighed and focused on the papers on her desk. She had a lot to do and she'd better get started.
.......................................................................
Her phone was ringing.
Muttering to herself, she picked it up without looking at the caller.
"Hello?"
"It's way past your lunch break. Luckily for you, I know a great restaurant close to you."
"Lia!"
"Yes girl. Now get your butt out of that chair, I already ordered for us"
She hung up.
Maria laughed to herself. She hadn't seen Lia since before the incident. Daniel had said she went on a business trip.
Groaning as she stood up, she checked the time with a start. She'd been working for hours! Her belly grumbled and she realized how hungry she was.
"I'm sorry baby, mama totally forgot to eat" she rubbed her belly as she walked out.
She spotted Lia immediately and grinned.
"Hey stranger. Where have you been!!" She said as soon she got close, hugging her.
"Family emergency. But I'm back now. I missed you too"
They talked over a big lunch of tomato soup and Caesar salad.
"Aren't you glad I chose this restaurant? Their food is amazing!" Lia said grinning
"Thank you for lunch Lia. Really."
"Well someone had to drag you away from those boring papers. Still at the Wilcox Mansion?" She asked.
"Yeah. Ryan won't let me out of his sight. Not until they catch her"
"Lydia Brown. Must be very smart to have not been caught by now." Lia said folding her arms and staring at Maria who suddenly felt uncomfortable talking about her former captor. Especially at the place she kidnapped her before.
"They will. Are you back for real now?" She asked, changing the subject.
"Oh I've got business here. And speaking of which, gotta report back to my boss. You take care of yourself, you hear?" Her friend said, standing up and dusting herself down.
Maria stood up too and went round the table to give her a hug.
"I'm glad you came."
"Me too. Bye love"
Maria watched as she strolled out of the restaurant, hip swaying and confident. It crossed her mind that she'd never really asked what Lia did for a living.
Shrugging it off, she turned and walked back to her office, smiling at a little girl.