Alone

RYAN's POV
"Let me do the talking okay?" Daniel said as they drove into Gerald Smith's driveway.
Gerald was their father's friend and a board member. This means he has important shares of the company, which Brown was trying to steal. They couldn't let that happen.
Ryan rolled his eyes.
"I'm not a kid Daniel"
They got out of the car and walked to the front door. The door opened before they could knock, a maid smiling at them.
"Hi"
"Hello. Is Mr Smith available?" Daniel asked.
"Yes he is. Please come in"
She took their coats and led them to a large living room.
"Please have a seat."
She walked out presumably to inform her boss of his guests.
They sat in silence for a few minutes, looking around. The maid came back in.
"Mr Smith will join you shortly. Is there anything I can get you while you wait?"
Daniel shook his head while Ryan asked for a glass of water. She smiled politely and left, returning shortly with a glass of water. After asking if they needed anything else, she left them.
They waited a while before they heard the sounds of heavy footsteps coming slowly towards them.
They both rose to their feet as they saw the old man walk in.
"Ah the Wilcox boys. To what may I owe this pleasure"
They both shook his hands and sat down.
"How are you Gerald" Daniel asked
"Oh well as good as an old man could be. But you didn't come here to ask about my health. Out with it boy"  Trust the old man not to beat around the bush.
"We heard you want to sell your company shares to Brown." Daniel said frowning
"Oh that. Yes he came to me, asking me to sell it to him. For a considerable amount I might add."
"So did you agree?" Ryan spoke up ignoring the look Daniel gave him.
"Well no. Not yet. I might have to though. You see, I'm in a really tight spot. I'm sure you've heard of my gambling debts?" The old man asked, remorsefully
"Yes we heard. Which is why we've come to offer you a deal"
Gerald raised a brow
"A deal?"
"Yes. Sell the shares to us and we'll pay double the amount Brown offered you."
The old man sighed thoughtfully.
"Your father was my very good friend. And I don't like the idea of giving Brown such power to his company."
Daniel and Ryan were quiet.
"I'm going to think about it. I'll give you my answer tomorrow"
"We hope it's a positive one."
Gerald smiled
"Your father would be proud of the men you've become."
The Wilcox brothers smiled and shook his hand, thanking him. They got their coats from the maid at the door and walked back to their car.
"Well I think that was a success?" Ryan asked as Edward drove them out of the Smith's estate.
"Let's not celebrate yet. Brown is a cunning son of a bitch."
"Not surprised his daughter turned out to be a pain in the ass."
Daniel looked at his brother.
"So have you called her?"
"No" Ryan answered, not bothering to ask who his brother was talking about.
"Why not. You obviously miss her. It's been three days since they left"
"She doesn't need me. She told mum to look after the work at the restaurant and Lia to oversee the one at her house. She didn't want a reason to talk to me."
Daniel was silent for a while. He could see his brother was hurting.
"She's scared."
That made Ryan frown
"Of what? All I've done since I met her is show her how interested I am."
Daniel sighed
"You had sex. I'm not surprised she thinks that's all you're interested in"
"Why is everybody saying that"
They both kept quiet the rest of the ride home. Edward drove Daniel to his house before heading back to the mansion.
Ryan headed to his room, falling into his bed. Thoughts of Maria swarmed his head. Maybe they were all right. He knew in his heart that he loved Maria, but she won't believe him until he did something to show her. He smiled and picked up his phone to make a call.
.......................................................................
MARIA's POV
She watched as Aubrey and Kurt squabble over the one with the best fashion sense and smiled. Her mind wandered back to Ryan. It felt like that was all she did lately. Think and wonder what he was doing and why he hadn't called her since she left. She frowned. Was he angry at her? It had been three days and even when he talked to Aubrey, he never asked to speak with her. She'd wanted space from him and he'd granted her her wish. So why was she angry?
She sighed.
"Earth to Maria" Aubrey said, snapping her fingers.
"Sorry. Did you say something?" Maria asked
"Yeah we were asking who the best fashionista is" Kurt said folding his arms to his chest
"But you were too busy thinking about Ryan" Aubrey finished for him
"I wasn't thinking about Ryan." She lied standing up and walking to the kitchen. She brought out the bowl of ice-cream they'd gotten the day before and scooped some into little bowls. She placed them in a tray and carried it out.
"I haven't heard from Lia since yesterday. Do you think she's having troubles at the house?" Maria asked frowning.
Thankfully, her friends didn't comment on the change of subject.
"I don't think so. You could call her to check?"Aubrey said, spooning ice cream into her mouth.
"Yeah. I will later. I have to call the moving company tomorrow. We need to start getting ready to leave."
Kurt bowed his head sadly.
"I'm gonna miss you guys when you leave"
Aubrey nudged his arm with hers
"Hey we're just an hour away by flight and 3hours by car"
Kurt grinned
"Yeah and since you're a billionaire princess, you could get me first class tickets"
They laughed at that
"Only if you agree I'm the fashionista here" Aubrey said crossing her arms
"No way. I am"
And so the squabbling begins again. Maria rolled her eyes and headed to the bedroom she now shared with Aubrey. She laid on her bed and sighed.
She wished Ryan would call.