20

The days got noticeably warmer when spring finally arrived

The days got noticeably warmer when spring finally arrived. It was Gigi's favorite season because...Well. She met Augustin during Spring. She never cared about seasons or weather before that. In fact, she never cared about anything before him. It was like her life truly began when she met him.

Now that she discovered about his cheating, she still couldn't get over the things she learned to appreciate thanks to him. She sat in the garden and sipped on her tea, enjoying the light breeze fanning over her face.

She chose her seat strategically because, from the corner of her eyes, she could also admire the view of Hakim, grilling some meat for their dinner. He was standing in front of the barbecue, his plaid shirt's sleeves revealing his forearms, veins in clear sight. Gigi's face was half-hidden behind her cup as she pretended to not be thirsting over her housekeeper.

She didn't have to hide though. It wasn't like Hakim noticed her. Oh, how she wished he would at least glance in her direction but it was like Gigi became invisible to him. Since she told him about the marriage, he'd grown distant. Still very respectful sure, but he rarely met her eyes anymore. Gigi felt like she was going to lose her mind if it continued.

Luckily, Thomas arrived before she got there. He was back from the park. Gigi invited him for a cup of tea, just so she could focus her attention on someone else and free her mind from Hakim, at least for a short while. Thomas agreed. She filled his cup but he didn't drink immediately.

Gigi watched him thoughtfully. She realized that there were many unsaid things between her and Thomas. She didn't tell him yet about marrying Hakim and he also didn't tell her anything about him and the neighbor kid. Gigi cleared her throat, thinking it was time to get down to it all.

"How was your afternoon?" She asked cautiously.

Thomas sipped his tea and made a funny face.

"It was okay."

"Just...Okay? I don't know, it doesn't look like you had fun."

Thomas pouted without a word. Something was definitely bothering him. Gigi reached out over the table to hold his hands. Thomas looked into her eyes.

"...I know I'm far from being the perfect mother, honey." She said. "I know I have many things to improve on but listen, I really want us to be close. I want us to be able to share anything, every little secret, and have a real bond you know...Can we do that?"

Thomas shrugged. Gigi gave him the time to say something but to no avail.

"Fine...I will start then!" She said instead.

"Start?"

"Yes. I will tell you what I have in my mind right now and then you will tell me too as well but only if you feel like it, of course."

"...Okay."

She leaned closer to whisper:

"Hakim and I are going to get married."