5

Gigi finished eating the last piece of her burger

It was satisfying to have a good meal like that. She spent the last few days filling her stomach with alcohol more than anything else and didn't register how badly her body was in need of nutrients. Whether she chose to admit it or not, she was grateful towards the new housekeeper for feeding her.

The woman looked around the kitchen and though she couldn't remember the name of the fairy, she agreed he knew how to do his job properly.

Gigi was finally recognizing her home after so long. It used to be just as neat back when her life still made sense. She smiled as a memory came to mind. She saw Augustin, sitting across from her at the dining table. He was still in his suit since he'd just come back from work.

"Could you please pass the salt, honey?" He asked.

Sure.

Gigi reached out with her hand but couldn't find the salt. She looked up and Augustin was gone. The seat across from her was empty again and Gigi remembered that her husband was never there in the first place. He was actually gone. Forever.

That was probably the worst thing about his death. She still couldn't accept it. She still expected him to come home, as if he just went on a long business trip. That's why her pain was so vivid, because the wound was still gaping and bleeding.

She simply couldn't imagine a life without Augustin.

Tears pooled in her eyes and Gigi didn't hear her son coming into the kitchen. Thomas looked at her with a frown. He wasn't expecting to see her. His mother didn't sit at that table for over a year.

He hesitated, unsure if he was supposed to talk to her. Then, realising she was lost in her thoughts anyway, the kid just went to the fridge to retrieve his meal. He'd seen Hakim's notes and was so hungry that he had to let go of his pride but just for that one night, he promised to himself.

Gigi snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of the microwave turning on. She glanced towards her son.

"Oh. You're here."

Thomas blinked. His mother spoke as if she was surprised to see he still lived in the same house.

"Yup. Still here, mom."

He rolled his eyes and turned to face the microwave so he wouldn't stare at her anymore.

Gigi bit her lower lip. Thomas seemed to have grown in the last few days. He reminded her more and more of Augustin. Though Thomas wasn't his exact representation, there were still things in his movements and expressions that he took from his father. Gigi gasped as she saw him run a hand through his brown hair, just the way Augustin used to do when frustrated.

Thomas took his meal out of the microwave and sat on that chair across from his mother, where his father used to sit. His fries became too hard and he regretted not eating them while they were still fresh. He munched hungrily on his burger while Gigi observed him.