Chapter 2- The Apartment

*Author's note at the end :)

February 13th, 2012:

After we received our schedules and housemates, it was up to us to find our way to the apartment complex written under the names of the people I would be living with for the foreseeable future. I turned to look at Eunbi and ask if she knew where this was. She didn't but said we could just take the bus after asking the man for directions.

After a somewhat short bus ride, we made it to the apartment. We were the first girls to make it. I assume the others went to get their things before coming. That was probably the smarter thing to do I groan inwardly.

The younger Eunbi punched in the code and swings the door open. We all shuffle inside, and I honestly have never been more underwhelmed. The living area, which included the dining room, was no bigger than 350 square feet. I quickly walked to the kitchen nestled in a tiny corner room. I'm an avid baker and was secretly hoping for a suitable kitchen. I was once again disappointed. There was almost no counter space since the tiny sink and stove took up most of the room. I hear 97' Eunbi groan and go back out to see what's wrong.

"I was expecting a small apartment, but this is kinda crazy," she says exasperated.

"Yeah, and we're all sharing one room" adds the younger Eunbi

My eyes go wide. I hadn't look at the bedrooms, or bedroom, yet. I quickly walk to the bedroom and groan when I see 4 bunk beds crammed in, leaving barely any room to navigate within the room itself. I then go look at the bathroom which not to my surprise is absolutely tiny, probably the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The toilet is in the shower area and the only thing separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom is a small thin glass partition with the sink next to it, right next to the door.

I turn around to the Eunbis.

"This is definitely not what I was expecting... 14 girls in this one tiny apartment, this is going to be interesting, but I'm sure they're all nice," I say trying to remain positive.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that. A lot of these girls see this more as a competition than a happy friend group trying to make their dreams come true. I would keep my guard up for a little bit if I were you" comments 97' Eunbi.

"You became friends with me pretty fast though. Right?" I answer, hoping I didn't make a mistake in being overly friendly with her.

"Oh no, don't worry. I do actually view you as a friend. Or at least for now" she winks at me and giggles "no, no, I'm kidding. I'm happy I at least have you two to count on".

I smile and then remember I don't have any of my things.

"We should probably go get our stuff before we get delayed by having to introduce ourselves and like socialise with the other girls," I say laughing a little.

"Oh my god, you're so right. I forgot I didn't have any of my things" laughs younger Eunbi "well I guess we'll see each other back here later then!"

With that, all three of us exited the apartment and went our separate ways to get our stuff. I got on the bus that we used to get to our apartment and then walk to the hostel I had stayed at the night before. This was only my second day in Seoul and so much had already happened. I walk into the hostel and ask the reception for my three suitcases. I smiled when the lady came out and handed me my suitcases. Practically my whole life was in those suitcases, everything from picture frames of my family to my clothing to bedding and books. I thank the lady and awkwardly make my way down the street to a coffee shop on the corner.