naruto's art contest:

naruto kept squeezing his fist. he walked in circles as his anxiety sky rocketed. sakura sighed at her best friend.

"i'm sure he'll be here." sakura commented reassuringly, "he wouldn't miss this for the world."

naruto stopped walking but continued to mess with his fist. leaving marks on his fingernails in his palms.

"how do you know that?" he asked, "not too long ago i saw that sticky note. embarrassment was the nicest word i can use to describe that moment. imagine just walking into someone's room to see a painting of yourself? what if he thinks i'm creepy? what if he only wrote that to make me feel better from being caught red handed?"

sakura grinned, "last sentence does sound creepy." naruto's face dropped, sakura squeaked, "sorry! but if he found it creepy he wouldn't have continued to talk to you. besides, he will be here! sasuke wouldn't want to disappoint you."

naruto blinked in confusion, not sure on what she meant. sasuke didn't care for him. he didn't care for anyone, why would the musician be disappointed?

but before he got to verbally ask his thoughts, a bit of yelling was heard.

"i'm telling you i'm supposed to be back here!" naruto perked up at the familiar smooth voice.

"sorry sir, but unless you are with a contestant, i can not allow you to enter. you'll have to wait in the audience."

"see," sakura smiled, "he would make it. now i'm going to go and find ino in the audi-"

"kay, see ya!" he cut her off, running to the backstage door. a big, goofy grin on his face.

sakura shook her head in amusement, smiling to herself. she walked the opposite way, hoping to find ino quickly.

"if you don't let me back here, i'll-"

"sasuke!" naruto practically yelled.

he pushed back the security guard, jumping in sasuke's arms. the said male ungraciously caught him. he stumbled back a bit but managed to keep his feet planted to the ground. a noticeable blush on his face as his arms were securely wrapped around naruto's waist. feeling the blonde's arms around his neck as he snuggled into his shoulder. sasuke's blush deepening.

"hello, naruto. sorry that i'm late."

naruto pulled back, his arms still around the pale male's neck, "you're right on time."

he finally let go of sasuke, much to both of their dismay's. naruto turned to the security guard, a sheepish grin on his face. an embarrassment blush on his face.

"sorry for earlier. i was just impatiently waiting on his arrival."

"i don't get paid enough for this." he mumbled and walked away.

naruto laughed, grabbing sasuke's hand and pulling him to follow behind.

"i got you a front row back stage seat."

"for me? you're too kind, naruto."

a simple compliment that should've meant nothing to anyone meant so much to naruto. he grew shy, waving it off as there was no way sasuke truly meant it.

there was a few seats in a row, some were already sitting and watching, but there was one empty chair. confusion raised in dark haired male.

"each contestant gets one guest to the back. that spot is yours, and it's the perfect spot to see everything. so you better be cheering for me."

sasuke have a soft, smile, "i always will."

without thinking naruto gave a quick kiss to sasuke's cheek and ran off to his spot.

sasuke's eyes widened from the action, once more blushing from something naruto did. first the hug and now a simple kiss -that probably didn't mean anything- can make the expressionless boy flustered.

sasuke's right hand slowly lifted to his cheek. touching the skin that felt like fire from the tanned male's lip.

sasuke had it bad.

"oh... i can die happily now." sasuke mumbled, finally walking to his spot.

he took a seat next to a dirty blond girl with four spiky pig tails for a hairstyle. she had a proud smile on her face as she watched a redhead up on stage, showing off a very detailed painting of a sand raccoon with blue markings. it was truly beautiful, sasuke was pleased. but he knew naruto's painting was better, naruto was always better. he was the best in sasuke's eyes.

after about another 20 people, it was naruto's turn. and he seemed to be the last person in the contest. And sasuke knew it was worth the wait.

a simple blush on his cheeks as he couldn't stop thinking about that kiss on his cheek. he liked the inside of his mouth, his lips felt lonely and jealous of his cheek. he wanted a kiss from the blond, even if it was quick and simple. even if it was worse than the kiss on the cheek.

either way, butterflies was the only thing sasuke would be able to describe those moments.

"naruto, would you like to describe your inspiration?"

naruto nodded, taking the mic as his face was a bit red.

"this was inspired by someone that gives me this sense of calm. he has this beauty that no one else can compare to him. to me, he's the definition of art."

"the definition of art?" he mumbled, his shoulders slumped in relaxation. he was content with naruto's words. falling deeper for the male.

"he sure has a way with words." the female next to him said, leaning close to his ear, "that painting of you looks good."

sasuke turned to face her, "thank you." he simply said.

she smiled, "temari."

"sasuke."

and that was the end of their conversation.

"now will every contestant come to the stage. the winner will be announced shortly."

sasuke watched as the blonde anxiously tapped his thigh. he worked so hard on his painting and there was so many other people who had done better.

sasuke rubbed the back of his neck, taking a deep breath, "no matter what, your painting is the best, naruto!"

naruto snapped his eyes over -along with a few others- the blond smiled. a sense of clam washed over, no matter what, he has the best painting.

the announcer came back on stage, opening an envelope. a gentle smile spread across his face. "the winner today is-"

~~

naruto picked at his ramen. a frown on his lips. he brought the noodles up with his chopsticks letting them fall. sasuke watched with a worried look.

he reached over and grabbed his hands, "naruto... are you okay?"

"i worked hard..." he said, tears slowly filling his eyes, "and i got second? that's worse than last place. it means i'm right there, able to win, but i'm still not good enough."

sasuke got out of his chair, walking to naruto, going behind him. he wrapped his arms around naruto's shoulders, giving a behind hug.

"you're still the best. those judges were blind. you worked hard. believe me, you should've won. now, finish your ramen and we can do whatever you want."

naruto nodded, his mood going up. he scarfed his food down. sasuke smiled at him.

"i want a sleepover, at your house."

"as you wish."