CHAPTER 31 || Hope[less]

Start from the beginning

Ah, checking temperature.

"Clear."

After being checked. I slowly turned to Namra without being obvious.

"34.5 degrees. Provide a warming blanket." The guy said, Suhyeok and I sighed in relief at the same time.

"Yes sir, we will rescue them after mission. Over."

One of them said through the walkie-talkie.

"It's all over, we can finally get out of here." Jungkook whispered to me. However, I did not feel like they only came to save us. My guts told me something was off.

"I wish." I responded.

"You can all stand up now." the same soldier said, so we all climbed up.

"Stay here and don't move. We will come back to you guys later." After a signal, three of them walked towards the side wall.

"What do you mean? Are you not saving us??" Jimin asked.

"Yes, we will save you guys, but later. So stay where you at and don't go anywhere or do anything." The remaining soldier said.

"Where do you expect us to go? Fly in the air?" I mumbled, earning a giggle from Jungkook.

"Why don't you say that out loud?" He said.

We flinched as we heard continuous bangs, everyone knew they were gunshots even though this was our first time hearing these sounds.

"What do you think they are doing?" Wujin asked.

"Ah, so they are killing all the zombies before saving us?"

"How is that even possible? Besides, what even is the point of doing so?" Joonyeong said. "Isn't that the floor where the science room is? Is there anything they want to take?"

"Mission completed." The only soldier said, glancing down from the short wall. "They are coming up."

"Anyway, who cares? As soon as we can get the hell out of here is fine." Daesu sighed.

"Agree..." Hyoryeong commented.

The helicopter approached us again, but stayed in the air.

"We will pull you up one by one okay?" The same man said as he held onto the rope that let down just a minute ago by the chopper. "Even if you are scared, stay still."

"Aren't you landing the helicopter?!" Hyoryeong raised her voice so they could hear.

"No, it's unstable here, it will be dangerous to land the helicopter! So now please come one by one."

"Jimin ah, you go first." Onjo gently pushed the girl forward, Jimin nodded and went near the rope. Two of the armed men started to fasten the harness around her, eventually the sound of a machine was heard as Jimin slowly was pulled up.

Jungkook had his arm around my shoulder as we stared at the figure slowly elevated.

Jimin smiled as she looked at the crowd, I assumed the others also showed joyful and hopeful smile.

"We are going home." Jungkook whispered in my ear.

"Home...?" I rested my head on his shoulder. "I don't have one, but I won't reject a place where I could finally have a good sleep."

"Well, we will definitely have one in the future, a wonderful, awesome home. And you can sleep peacefully every night in my arms." He gripped my arm and chuckled. I snorted.

"Where is your mind going? We aren't even eighteen."

"We will go to theme parks, museums, watch movies or just netflix, play video games and travel around the world together. I want to do everything with you, everything you want to do, and fill in your regrets in childhood, make you the happiest person on Earth." He showed his cute bunny smile, I could not help but giggled, give him a small hit on his chest.

"We will have plenty of kids together and—"

"Cancel operation."

The operating sound of the machine stopped, and when it started again, Jimin was lowering down.

"Sir, I am going down??! What happened?!"

"Hey, is the thing broken?!!" Daesu asked worriedly.

Jimin landed on the ground and the soldiers started to take off her harness.

"Why are you doing this?!" Jimin asked but they only pushed her towards us harshly.

"Hey!! What are you guys doing?!!" Cheongsan stepped forward anxiously, but the other soldiers were getting up onto the helicopter while the only soldier pointed us a gun.

"STAND BACK!!" he yelled.

"Why aren't you guys saving us?!!" Cheongsan yelled back, while stepping forward.

"I SAID DON'T MOVE!" The man shouted.

"At least take a few of us!!!" Cheongsan begged, holding onto Onjo's hand.

Jungkook held my hand and stepped out from the crowd.

"Yea, take some of us!! We cannot stay here!" His tightened grip hinted his unpleasantness.

"I want to go!! Let me go with you!!!" Jimin cried.

"We aren't zombies! Just take us with you!!"

The man pointed his gun in the air and fired a few times, the gunshots pierced through our ears. All of us immediately covered our ears stumbled backwards.

"Sorry."

That was the last word that man said before he got onto the helicopter, which left right away without taking any single one of us.

Again, all we could do was watching the black machine getting away from us, until it disappeared in the dark sky.

I snorted, undid my bun and messed with my hair in frustration.

Adults were the same, why were we even expecting?

"They abandoned us, right?!" Hyoryeong frowned. "No one will come to save us now, right??"

"Why did they do this?!" Daesu asked.

"Maybe they think we are zombies?!" Wujin answered disappointedly.

"If so they would have killed us." Joonyeong responded, sighing.

"They probably think we are all like class prez." Jungkook said, looking at the sky, in hope of seeing some flashlights.

Cheongsan shook his head and ran to stepped on the campfire. He was ranting, kicking away the sticks that formed "SOS", kicking away the symbol of our hope and expectations.

"What are you doing!!" Onjo tried to stop him, but was yanked away.

"These are useless, nobody will come to save us."

He continued kicking, before he finally bursted out screaming.

The scream of anger, frustration, fear and hopelessness. And we were just a bunch of seventeens when we had to fight with zombies on our own, when we got abandoned by the world, and realised that all we had, was us.

"Ah...it's raining..."