[25] What Has To Be Done

[25]

What Has To be Done

When I stepped out of the car, it was pouring rain. I took a deep breath and slowly closed my eyes when I felt the rain on my face. After a brief interval, I became aware of someone standing behind me.

There's no rain.... It stopped?

My eyes opened. It's still here, though. My entire face was being shielded from the pouring rain by a black umbrella. I look down and cleared my throat.

"Thank you, manong." I said and quickly entered inside the mansion.

I finally make it to the front door and pause for a moment. Our big door. For one last time, I breathe.

"Tadaima." I calmly said when I opened the door.
(I'm Home.)

Few minutes later, I heard a loud noise.

"Oniichan....! Okaerinasai....!"
(Brother....! Welcome back....!)

When I heard the familiar voice, I immediately smiled. I noticed my cute sister running towards me in the distance. When I noticed a strong but cute bear approaching, I swiftly prepared myself. I don't intend to hug her right now because my situation is a bit complicated.

"Niichan...." She hugged me so tight. I almost lose my balance. "Nande son'na osokatta no?"
(What took you so long?)

I chuckled. "Doshite? Watashi no koto ga koishikattadesu ka?"
(Why? Did you miss me?)

"Watashi wa anata ga shitte iru ijo ni anata ga inakute sabishidesu."
(I miss you more than you know.)

What she said to me made me smile. I'm endeavoring everything I can to maintain my distance away from her, but she won't let me go. It was as though she were the Bluetooth match for my phone. I walk towards the sofa with her on my back. I can still carry her despite her weight. When I sat down, she started mandating me anecdotes about her school activities. I was trying to neaten up her hair while listening to her pleasant voice. I braid it to keep her hair from looking unkempt.

"And then...." Someone interrupted her story.

"Okaeri, Kino."
(Welcome back, Kino.)

It was her.... I know it.

"Chotto Shitsureishimasu," I said softly into my sister's ear that made her giggle even more.
(Excuse me for a minute.)

I stand tall while adjusting my necktie. The person in front of me came to a halt and glanced at me for a few moments. I felt puzzled, so I made the move to hug her.

"Anata no gakkō wa dōdeshita ka?" She asked while smiling. "Subarashī tsuitachideshita?"
(How was your school? Did you have a great time?)

"Watashi.... Subarashī jikan o sugoshimashita.I.... Gakkō wa.... Soredemo watashi ga shitte iru no to onajidesu."
(I.... Did have a great time. School was.... Still the same I know.)

I didn't get a timely response from her. "You look tired," I stop when she handed me a piece of towel. "Koko de anata o atatakaku shite kudasai. Furūtsukēki mo tsukurimashita. Anata wa daidokoro ni kite kēki o taberubekidesu. Sore wa tsukidete imasu... Anata no imōto wa sukoshi don'yokudesu. Kanojo wa shinbōdzuyoku naru tame ni saizen o tsukushite imasu. Itsu.... Kanojo wa anata to issho ni furūtsukēki o tabetai to omotte imasu."
(Here to keep you warm. I also made a fruitcake. You should come to the kitchen and eat the cake. It's just that... Your sister is a little greedy. She's doing her best to be patient. And... She wants to share a fruitcake with you.)