"You know what? It's fine." I turn a blind eye to Smith's low opinion of me. "I'll do it with Nick." It can be an opportunity for me to prove myself.

"Okay, then. Don't disappoint me."

"Have I ever?"

"Yes." He gets on his feet.

My mouth opens. "I haven't!"

He walks to the door. "I can count at least ten times."

"Name one of those ten times!"

"Forget about it." He opens the door.

"Come on, do it!"

"It doesn't matter anymore."

"Name just one!"

"The slippers?" he says, and I cross my arms.

"It was just once," I say, crossing my arms as I lean on the back of my seat, and he exits the room and closes the door right behind himself.

***

Nick and I are now in Los Angeles, the city of wild dreams, colorful streets, and fancy celebrity lives. We flew here one day sooner to be ready for our appointment with Mr. Bishop. Our hotel is close to Long Beach.

I'm going through everything that needs to be said and done during our meeting tomorrow morning. My coffee is cold, and I'm too lazy to get a new one. Someone knocks on the door.

"Mia?" It's Nick.

"Come in," I say, and he enters. He is in a swimsuit and a Hawaiian shirt. Also, he has sunglasses that look too small lying on his head.

"What are you doing?" he asks. "Come on. Let's hit the beach."

"What did the bitch do to you?" I say, and he shakes his head.

"I've never met a woman capable of saying dad jokes."

"Aww."

"It wasn't a compliment."

"What do you want, Nick?"

"We're in LA!"

I fix my laptop on the bed. "How can you be so calm after Smith's warnings?"

"It'll be fine. Don't worry."

"He has sent me six messages this morning, saying 'I'm sure you'll do great. But don't think about coming back to work if you fail.'"

"He's joking."

"There's a knife emoji at the end of his text."

"It's just an emoji."

"I'm sorry. But I can't come. I don't wanna mess this up."

"Okay, listen," he says and comes closer to me. "Los Angeles? It's all about connections. You can't read your way into a job this big. You have to meet people, their friends, and their enemies. It's the only way you'll get opportunities to make something work."

"So what? We're going to meet people now?"

"Yes!"

"Why would I want to meet people now, though? I can do it after we land the job."

"How do you think I met Luke the first time?"

"Luke Bishop?" I ask, and he nods. "You've met him?!"

"Yeah! I met him at a party last year. We hit it off. So, don't worry about it. I'm positive we'll get the job. We only need a refreshment. Who knows? Maybe Luke is somewhere in one of the parties we'll hit."