bonus chapter 1 - our marriage

Grayson:

Grayson:

"I can't believe we're going to Italy!"

Four hours into our flight to the country of her dreams, Talia still can't sit still out of pure excitement for our trip. She stares out of the plane window with wide eyes as if she is imagining she is already there. Her smile illuminates her face in the dim lighting of the plane's cabin when she looks at me.

"That's your fifth time saying that tonight," I say. I pick up her hand to hold.

Her smile softens. "I know, I just can't help it." She stares back out the window. "And you got the tickets to everything, right? The museums, the show, and the train ones? I don't want to forget anything, because that would be awful, and—"

"I took care of everything, daisy, don't worry," I reassure her. I wrap my arm around her and brush my thumb against the back of her hand. Her shoulders, which I didn't realize were so tense, relax. She leans into me. Usually I'm the tense one, but I guess we've switched for today.

Two months ago, I graduated from Duke after being drafted into the NBA for the New York Knicks. I had been working deals with the New York teams ever since Talia began her apprenticeship at one of the tattoo shops there.

The decision to go pro after college was an easy one. After my dad passed, I honestly thought basketball wouldn't be the same. I was right. Basketball never returned to its normalcy, but I embraced the connection to the sport that seemed to grow. Talia has helped a lot. Sometimes after a good win for the team, I find myself drawing into a mental space that wished my dad was there to watch me play. She talks me through my feelings and doesn't give up until a genuine smile forms on my face.

From signing my agreement with the team, I was given a hefty amount of money, which I divided to begin our lives together with.

One of the expenses went into renting our apartment together, which was the best decision we ever made. I wake up every day with her next to me, get ready with her at our double sinks in the bathroom—plus take showers together if I'm lucky—, and I get to eat meals with her. Talia shows me pictures of the tattoos she designs and talks to me endlessly, and every time she does that, I feel like I should be waking up from a dream.

With my new income, I also secretly planned this trip for us. It had three purposes.

One: to help Talia live out her dreams of visiting historical and Renaissance locations in Italy.

Two: to make memories together that we could always hold onto.

And three: to propose to the love of my life.

Twenty-two might be a little young to get married, but I don't give a single shit. As I bought the ring two weeks ago, the only thing I could think about was setting this new bond by making her my wife. The ring has an oval-cut emerald instead of a diamond, because I just couldn't resist the color green. It's simple in style with a small diamonds adorning the sides and a gold band. When I saw it, I couldn't stop imagining her wearing the ring and referring to me as her fiancé. Those thoughts alone made my heart pick up its pace.