chapter 7 - after party

Grayson:

Grayson:

"Listen up, party people. I have an announcement to make," Jake yells from the top of the kitchen counter.

What the fuck is his problem?

Following Jake's voice, I step into the kitchen from the backyard where hundreds of others are already gathered. I'm not normally a claustrophobic person, but there are way too many people in this space right now.

I look to my left and see a girl next to me biting her lip and giving me goo-goo eyes. Have I hooked-up with her before? Probably, as it seems I have produced an endless list of hook-ups. That was stupid of me. So fucking stupid when all I really want is her.

I roll my eyes and look away from not-Talia, which may have been rude, but I have other, more important things on my mind.

Such as my idiot friend who is currently playing the role of town crier. He is always dramatic.

The room quiets down after Jake declares he needs to make an announcement. All eyes are on him, and knowing Jake, he probably is soaking in every ounce of the attention. I roll my eyes.

"As some of you may know, this party was thrown to celebrate our basketball team making it to the state championship. I wanted to say how great it has been to play this season with my spectacular teammates," Jake continues, which results in loud cries and cheers. "I climbed this counter for one other reason, and that is to specifically thank the man, the myth, the legend himself, Mr. Grayson Summers for being the best team captain a player could ever ask for."

I'm going to kill him.

People begin cheering again and random strangers pat my back, which makes me tense. Get your fucking hands off of me, I think, glaring angrily at those around me. They notice my expression and all take a step back, leaving me with more space. Good.

"I know that my bestie for life," the now apparent drunk Jake shouts, getting emotional, "will go on to do great things after this game. He has some important scholarships on the line Monday, so everyone better be there to support our team. Or else!"

I think that last part came out as more of a screech.

Rowan helps him down from the counter, like he is a little toddler who got himself stuck. Once he is safely back on the ground, my two idiot friends embrace in a tight hug, pretending they haven't seen each other in years.

Rowan makes eye contact with me from over Jake's shoulder and dramatically reaches a hand towards me, mouthing the words "I love you, Graysie-boy."