chapter 24 - lists (lips)

Talia:

Talia:

In my full opinion, waking up on a Tuesday morning is ten times more difficult than waking up on a Monday.

At least it's raining outside. I like the rain. It's not something I see as ominous or a warning to what the day might bring. Rather, I think it's good luck. And I'll need all of the luck I can get.

I stare at my reflection in the bathroom mirror and readjust my necklace, which always manages to have the clasp fall to the front. In my room, I decided today is a blue shirt kind of day. The light colored top hugs close to my chest as I slide my arms through a tan cardigan to complete my look. A perfect outfit for a wet day. That sounded wrong.

Plugging in a hair straightener, I impatiently tap my fingers on the sink while I wait for it to heat up. My hair under natural circumstances holds soft, fluffy waves from being braided at night. Today I thought I would try something different.

I lift the hot iron up to my hair, trying to imitate the process I have seen Jess complete many times before. Collecting a thick strand of my hair, I'm about to push the two sides of the iron together when there's a knock at the door.

"Lia!" Jess shouts from the other side. "Are you almost done? I have to put my make-up on."

"You can come in," I say back, still holding my hair between my fingers.

Jessica opens the door already dressed for school and notices what I'm doing, staring at me with wide eyes. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to straighten my hair," I reply. I thought holding the iron and my hair would be obvious enough as to what I am going to do.

She takes a step closer until she is right beside me. "You're grabbing too big of a chunk to straighten it. You've got to...oh, never mind, just let me do it."

My sister grabs the straightener from my hand and points at the toilet, silently ordering me to take a seat. She separates my hair into two sections, one higher and one lower, pinning up the top part with a clip. I feel the warmth radiating off of the iron as she begins her work that I was helpless enough not to be able to do by myself.

"So," Jess says, "any reason as to why you want your hair to be straightened?"

I'm facing the wall so I can't see her facial expressions, but I can only guess she has a knowing smirk on.

I clear my voice with a quick cough. "Nope. No reason."

Jessica huffs. "Really? Huh. Well, if I had to guess, I would think this has to do with someone who's name begins with G and ends with rayson. But, then again, what would I know?"

She unclips the top part of my hair and it falls down across my face. Her fingers push it aside and she begins her work on the next section.

"I just felt like having my hair be smooth and straight for once, that's all," I lie. Have I mentioned I'm a horrible liar?