The long scroll was bordered in gold silk brocade. The painting, executed in dynamic brushstrokes, in deep black ink, was a portrait of the Zen master Bodhidharma sitting in contemplation. In the upper right hand corner of the painting, the painter had written a poem in grass-style calligraphy with the brush running.

On the low black lacquer table in front of the Shogun, were sake cups with a matching ewer, ceramic, an example of natural simplicity.

As he drank his sake, Tokimune appreciated the cup. He was a devotee of the tea ceremony. He knew that the object of the masters was to create a naturalness which seemed untutored as though a small child had made a cup or bowl for the first time.

The rough shapes showed the master potter's understanding of childish artlessness in the highest artistic expression. This was the influence of Zen on the samurai class.

The girl slid open the fusuma screen then closed it behind her and crossed the room to sit beside him.

Her immaculate white tabi socks made a swish-swishing noise on the tatami floor. Her kimono was decorated with dahlias and fans, reds yellows and greens, summer colors. She wore a perfume which wafted for some moments on the air and then vanished like the fragrance of the Himalayan lilies which had been planted in one of his gardens. Her thick black hair was caught up in lacquer ornaments, swept up from the nape of her neck and lacquered into waves that reminded him of the sea which he could smell, since his palace was built beside the shore of Kamakura.

Two other courtesans came into the room and began to pluck the first strains of the music which would accompany Miyoko's dance. Miyoko opened up a silver fan and stamped her tiny foot. Then she began her dance, following the movements of the fan in front of her. Her movements were so graceful that he was mesmerized. Her songs were so sad that his eyes were brimming with tears.

When the dance was finished and the sake had taken its effect, Miyoko bowed and left the room.

***

A Yuan Imperial Guardsman arrived at the palace of Koguryo bringing a message from the Emperor Khubilai Khan.

King Chong was in the garden, keeping company with me and our young son. The boy was running after a little dog, playing with a ball.

The Guardsman read a stinging letter full of reprimands because the embassy sent to demand tribute of Japan had failed.

Khubilai Khan ordered the King to transport his Envoys on a second embassy to Japan. 

King Chong was exasperated. "I predicted the type of reception his embassy would receive and tried to dissuade him from sending it. I know the Japanese better than your father. They are my neighbors across the Straits of Korea. Your father is my friend, we are family, but he forgets that I have had to deal with the Shogun over the pirates, the wako, for years. They are 100 miles across the Straits. They continually raid my coasts and terrify the populace of my country.”

My family life has been a success. My marriage was a success. I sympathized with my husband.

“What can I say? My father does not like to be reminded of his errors. He has a point.”

She waited for her husband to come around to her point of view, but he was adamant.

“He does not have a point. He Is deaf, dumb and blind. He refuses to listen to reason. Why can't you admit that I know more about this than he does?

'My father, the king before me, tried to reason with the pirates. The pirates ignored his pleas and continued their raids on towns, villages and small seafaring communities along the coast.