25 As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams

Jinggim became his father Khubilai's closest confidante. On one of my visits to court, i told Jinggim that I thought our father was cracking up.

There was a drought and famine struck the farms which Khubilai had established in the north between the mountains and the Silk Road cities. These were farms meant to feed the army, but the area did not have enough rainfall to sustain the military population.

In previous years, Khubilai had organized massive relief efforts, and postponed collecting taxes from the population.

Jinggim said that he wished to show himself to the people and give them assurances that they would be taken care of.

General Bayan was opposed to Jinggim riding into danger. An-tung, the Minister of the Right, the highest-ranking Mongol official in court, ageed.

Jinggim argued forcefully for this strategy and earn the admiration of the court. He was gaining respect. The government. thought he would make a fine sovereign when the day came.

"Don't go," Khubilai told his son. that he took comfort in having his son by his side. "Send one of your half-brothers." There were other minor wives who had worn other sons.

Jinggim felt the responsibility of being Heir Apparent. He meant to be an active ruler. He went over his father's objection.

Khubilai, in escaping his sorrows, gave ever more lavish feasts at which he consumed far too much food and drink.

The feasting caused him to become obese. When his women dressed him, they held up a bronze mirror for him to see himself, he was filled with loathing at the sight of himself.

The bronze mirror decorated with ribbons of clouds and immortal maidens, revealed bags under his eyes and broken veins shining blue through his skin.

The Empress had died, and he had not recovered from the pain of losing her. Nomughan their son had returned from being kidnapped and jailed by Khaidu's men, but it was too late. Her health had already declined as she warned his absence. Khubilai held himself responsible.

A messenger arrived a month and a half after Jinggim's departure bearing the sad news that Jinggim had died.

He had had a heart attack while he was at the Palace of Ten Thousand Tranquilities in Khara Khorum and had died before the doctors could be summoned. When the palace doctors arrived, he was pronounced dead.

In Khara Khorum, the high command of Mongolia awaited instructions from the Khan.

Khubilai sent orders. His son would be buried at the imperial family burial ground in the Valley of Two Rivers.

This story of Jinggim's death was the official line. Privately several of those in the government believed that the Heir Apparent had been poisoned by one of the Muslims in the government in Khara Khorum as retribution for the death of Ahmad.

Jinggim had conspired with his supporters at court to kill Ahmad and the Muslim,'s wanted revenge.

If the Muslims had used poison, they had been clever about it. There were no signs.

An-tung believed that someone had slipped the poison into his food. It was the only way the deed could have been accomplished.

At all times, when he was out on his tours of inspection and when he was hunting, Jinggim was surrounded by Keshig, Imperial Guardsmen.

The Guards csme as a group with the news. The doctors who had attended Jinggim eere brought. They said it had been a heart attack.

Did someone pay off to be doctors to lie, Khubilai d we manded to know. He was beside himself.