23 Jinggim's Plot

Xanadu

It was the habit of Queen Jinguk to visit the Emperor and Empress at Xanadu to bring her sons to visit their grandparents. The emperor enjoyed the visits, taking his grandsons to see the wonders of the zoo and the botanical gardens. He even showed the crown Prince how to falcon.

Khubilai was still over-indulging. He spoke of a third Japanese invasion, but the court opposed it. There would be no third invasion.

The gout was still an issue. Jinguk brought a chest filled with fish skin shoes of the finest quality.

Jinguk spent time with Empress Chabi, has the Empress was aging and in failing health. Her son Nomughan still missing, despite Khubilai's dispatching officers to find him.

Khaidu had not realized that his troops had kidnapped Nomughan and held him as a prisoner. He said the capture of an imperial prince had not been done at his order. He said that he would see that Nomughan was returned. But Nomughan did not come back and it had been more than five years

The Empress was eating herself up over the fate of her son. She was having conversations with Khubilai about what he would do after her death.

Marco Polo told Jinguk that he and her brother thought that Ahmad had bewitched her father. Jinguk found that hard to believe.

Marco was a good spy and produced figures to show that Ahmad had a system of kickbacks and squeezes from the taxes he was collecting from the merchants and the government monopolies.

"The taxes levied by the Finance Minister are a hardship upon the people, Khagan. I feel it is my duty to bring that fact to your attention. I request, Khagan, that you decree that there will be no further increases in the price of goods from the government monopolies or we will have uprisings in the streets.

Marco had information that displeased the Emperor. "The pilfering of stores and illegal private manufacture of salt has increased so that the people cannot keep up their standard of living and still pay the tax. I have taken the trouble to inquire of the Administrators of the Tea, Vinegar and Copper Monopolies and they too have recorded increased theft."

Ahmad was not trying to finance a rebellion. There were no Muslim military commanders. Khubilai Khan kept weapons out of the hands of Muslims. The money was going into his pocket.

The Khan realized that he had underestimated the man's greed. Khubilai ordered the Mongol minister An-tung to issue decrees to stop the bad practices.

Khubilai admired Ahmad's knowledge of fiscal matters and administration. He also recognized the damage Ahmad could do by undermining the confidence of the populace.

Jinggim confided to his sister that their father's health was failing. Khubilai grieved over the death of his old mentor and ally, Secretary Liu. They had been together at court since the early days and Liu had helped him found the dynasty.

The departure of several Confucian officials who had been at court since the early days strengthened Ahmad's faction at court.

At court, the rivalry between Heir Apparently and the Finance Minister
became public. Jinggim found himself pitted against Ahmad and his corruption more and more.

The court session was acrimonious. Ahmad was arrogant and defensive.

"Where is the evidence as to who is responsible? How do you know that this is not the thieving of local government administrators and not of the Ministry of the Treasury."

One day Jinghim's temper exploded like a firecracker. "You have the power to fix prices, yet the prices of goods controlled by government monopolies have risen continuously. You abuse your power for your own profit. I may be young, but I am not blind."