This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Bin wakes up drenched in sweat, which is weird considering the room temperature is way below their usual 24 degree Celsius. Bin himself set the thermostat before bed three days ago. The day after he started thrashing in bed in the middle of the night because of nightmares that are dismissed as nothing.

He thinks Ye Jin doesn't know about it. But she knows enough that this is four day in a row. Every time, he will get up and go to the kitchen, spending a few minutes there before changing his shirt and getting back to sleep.

Whenever she asked him whether he had a good sleep during breakfast, he would placate her with a fake cheery smile. She didn't buy it, of course, she merely waited for him to tell her what's going on. Like he promised.

Though it doesn't stop her from making assumption and speculation. Every credible reason graces her mind, and she hates that she even entertains the possibility of him getting a cold feet.

Sure— he isn't, is he?

Ye Jin wants to let him be, but this is day four and today she will move back to the guest house. She doesn't want to leave him only with his thoughts— and his dreams, she needs to get to the bottom of this. She gets up and takes her night robe, going to the kitchen to find him.

He is sitting down at the chair in the kitchen counter, eating some cereals in silence. His broad shoulders look defeated as he slouches forward. She walks to him slowly and stands behind him for a moment, deciding what she wants to do.

At the end, it is him that decides the action for her as he reaches back for her hand and brings it over his shoulders. Ye Jin instinctively brings the other one to circle him in a hug. Their heads touch as Bin leans to her.

"Jagiya, did I wake you?" He murmurs. Ye Jin kisses his temple and shakes her head.

"No," she lies. "I woke up to pee and you weren't beside me."

To her surprise, he chuckles. "You are not good at lying."

"I'll have you know— so are you, handsome." She turns him around to face her. She circles her arms on his neck and kisses the top of his head. His hands bring her closer as they find her tiny waist. They stay like that, taking comfort from each other while mulling over what to say.

"Do you want to tell me what's bothering you? What gets you tossing and turning these past few nights?"

Bin slides Ye Jin over and has her sit on his lap, "I must have bothered you."

"Only because I want to do something for you. And only because—" she hangs her words, fidgeting in his lap. Bin raises his hand and turns her chin toward him.

"Because of what, beautiful?" He asks gently.

"I'm afraid you're having cold feet." She whispers shyly. She knows she doesn't make any sense, so, if he can squash her worry, it'll be much better.

"Oh, beautiful." He mumbles softly as he closes the gap between them and kisses her as softly. "I may have done it in the past— but never again."

"I'm going to hold you to that and expect you to wait for me at the altar."

"I'll be there two hours early, if that means you'll be mine sooner."

She kisses him fervently on the mouth, her worries fly away by his words and she is elevated to cloud nine instead. He pulls away first, rubbing her lips tenderly, his eyes still bear turmoil within him.

"So, it's not cold feet."

"It's not."

"Then what?"