The Last Time

Although it was almost spring time, the air was still airy cold at Seoul National Cemetery. Bracing the cold wind, Bin jogged the last few steps that led to President Hyun Ji Sook's tomb, slipping his hand into the jacket's pocket.

He had been here so many times over the past 30 years, yet, his current visit might be the only one that mattered. His future depended on this.

Bin slowed his steps as he arrived in front of the tomb

Bin slowed his steps as he arrived in front of the tomb. He kneeled before it, swiping some wet leaves at the top of it, then joined his hands together for a prayer.

"Abeoji, it's me."

His father died a long time ago in a tragic manner, the kind that left a lasting impression and tonnes of excess baggage. "I— I follow your step, taking on the presidency."

His chest tightened as he thought about how proud his father would be if he ever saw him running for presidency. Bin never knew what future his father dreamed for him, maybe—

This path he took, that was not so bad. "I promise you, Abeoji, I'll do my best to serve this country. I'll do what you couldn't, and everything else that needs to be done. And Hyun's name will be remembered differently. They will only talk about the legacy we leave behind, and not— not your demise."

Bin took a can of beer out from his jacket, the one he brought to help him going through his monologue to his father. As he opened it and brought it to his lips, he stopped. And put it down on the tombstone.

"You know, after last night— I don't think I should drink this. I was drunk like I never before." He chuckled, then stopped, looking around him.

Realizing he was all alone here, Bin laughed with abandon. This was better. No one would witness his breakdown, if it came to that. And wind would take away everything, all of his fears and hesitation hopefully included.

"Abeoji," he started.

"I— meet the most amazing woman. She is gorgeous; she is kind," his heart skipped a beat as image after image of Ye Jin rolled on his mind. "I am lost every time I look into her eyes and— I swear, she has the most beautiful smile. Look at me, talking about her makes me emotional."

He swiped his palm over his face in an attempt to maintain his composure. "But— that's the thing. All these years— ever since I put Cheong Wa Dae as my goal, as my dream, I have sworn to avoid love. I don't want to put the person I love in my position. Or worst, in Eomeoni's position."

As he started open up to the ghost of his father, Bin realized that— had his father alive, maybe they would really bond over this kind of talk. While they were fishing, or after watching the soccer match at the stadium.

"Your abandonment left mark so deep, Abeoji. Eomeoni— never escaped the dark time. It was like she was trapped, always between sobriety and relapsing. In a sense, so was I.