"There's a shipping yard that's expecting a large haul of jewels to be imported and then shipped out again to get to it's final destination. It's getting there tomorrow night and will be gone the next morning. We have to be fast or we lose the big money."

"You don't need me for that."

"We both know your quirk will make it possible for us to get in fast and clean. No one will even know we will have been there until after it gets to it's buyer. With the two of you, we will be undetectable."

"And if I refuse?"

"Then Chris stays with me and your boyfriend is next on my to-do list."

"How do I know Chris isn't already dead?" I ask and I can practically feel Martac's heart hammer from where I am.

"You don't, but he'll certainly be if you don't do what you're told." My authority issues get the better of me and I back hand Fergus across his smug face, leaving a solid red imprint of my knuckles on his cheek. "Bad call."

He grips me by my neck, lifting me off the ground as I claw at his hand, trying to get breath into my lungs. The coffee I was holding falls to the ground and puddles quickly around us.

"Fergus! Stop!" Martac pleads behind me, voice cracking as he collapses to his hands and knees. "I'll help. I will. She doesn't need to. I can find ya someone else good with locks and we can do this without her."

"I like the poetry of her last job being for my benefit" Fergus chuckles, a wild look in his eyes as he chokes the life out of me. I spit in his face. "You just don't learn"

He throws me to the side, his hand snagging in the chain of my locket and rips it from my neck. It clatters to the ground in the puddle of coffee.

My vision goes red and I get up, charging Fergus. Martac stops me, getting up fast and grabbing me around my waist to keep me away from my target. In the corner of my eye, one of the extra men takes a step closer, hands starting to glow green.

"Calm down. Yer gonna make it worse" he says in my ear

"I'm not fucking doing this!" I scream, straining to get away from Martac.

"You won't find a suitable person to get the lock open in time. She either helps, or I keep Chris." Fergus moves closer to us and I still in Martac's arms. Fergus lowers his voice. "we both know that there are worse things than death that I can do to him."

"Y/n please" Martac pleads quietly in my ear so no one can hear my real name. "I'll never ask you for anything else"

The fight goes out of me at the pain in his voice and I step out of Martac's grip and past Fergus. I bend down to retrieve my locket, wiping it and the chain on my pants to dry it off before putting it into my pocket.

"Boss, we gotta go" says the man closest to me with the green hands. I can feel the air around him tingle, making me believe his quirk could kill me where I stand.

"Well Kagi? Are you in? Or did I acquire a new boy toy?"

I pause long enough to make Martac start to shift from foot to foot.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'm slightly disappointed" a wicked smile cracks across Fergus' face and Martac lets out a breath of relief. "I'll send the details along to bruiser here. And it goes without saying... don't tell your hero boyfriend"

"I want ma lad back now" Martac demands

"Payment after services rendered. Would hate for our two-faced bitch here to get any cute ideas" Fergus calls over his shoulder while the group leaves. The silence in the mostly empty building is so stark compared to the chaos that was here just a few moments ago.

"Thank you, y/n" Martac finally seems to take a deep breath.

"Let's talk outside. I don't trust it in here" I walk out to the street, the sun has set and the streetlights cast a haunted glow across Martac's features. We slip into the car, and I peel out onto the road, headed for Martac's apartment before I come clean. "I'm going to tell Tenya about this."

"Ya can't! He'll hurt Chris!" Martac's panicked tone is back and it takes everything in me not to cave and just give him want he so desperately wants.

"I'm not going to lie to him"

"So ya are goin to put the love of my life at risk instead? Get me arrested for conspiracy?"

"Martac. I'm not going to lie to him." I repeat.

"I can't believe ya would risk it like this. For a man that wanted to arrest ya." He shakes his head at me and steps out of the car when we pull to a stop outside his building. He hesitates before closing the door, still shaking his head at me "ya always get what ya want, but when I finally need something from ya, you shut down."

We stare down each other, neither of us willing to bend. This is the first time I recall being at odds with him. It feels wrong.

"Fine" I close my eyes, feeling exhausted and leaning my head back against the seat, rubbing my closed eyes with the palms of my hands.

"Thank ya, lass" he sounds relieved and I feel a pit start to form in my stomach.

He closes the door softly and I drive home, taking side streets and the scenic route to give myself time to think. It also allows me to look for potential tails so that I don't lead a villain to my lover.

All I accomplished was giving myself a headache. I give myself a few more moments before I walk into the house from the attached garage.

"Y/n?!?" Tenya calls, rushing to meet me, a small trail of exhaust from his engines following behind him. "I was so worried!"

He pulls me into his arms, squeezing me in his embrace until it feels like I can't breathe. I don't know if it's the right move, but I know if I want to keep Tenya, I have to tell him.

I wiggle out of his arms, and hold his face in my hands. He scans my face and down to my jaw, eyes freezing when they reach my neck.

"Who did that to you?" His eyes turn angry as he reaches up to trace the sore areas around my throat. I'm guessing that I have some light bruising there already.

I take a deep breath, stealing myself with what I know I need to say. "Sit down, Tenya. We need to talk."