Chapter 17

"Take a seat, there's much we need to discuss" Fergus' smile promises death.

Calmly, I sit on a soft chair on the other side of his desk. There's no windows in here but there is a mural of devil horns on the wall behind Fergus that look like it's coming from his head if he sits just right. Subtle.

"I didn't realize you bought this place" I sigh, crossing my legs and picking at my nails. "Step up from petty theft"

"I have you to thank for that" he leans back, acting like I'm not a threat. I reach into my pocket and hit the side button Martac had programmed to automatically call him. It's a fail safe for us so he knows I need back up or at least a second set of ears for the conversation.

"Oh really?" I feign indifference, raising my eyebrows at him. It's too easy to slip back into my villain persona that I put on when I worked jobs with them. Not much time has passed, but I thought after saving Tenya, it would be harder to play this part.

"With all the jobs we've done over the years, I built up quite a bit of capital. The bank heist was the last I needed to make a nice nest egg to make sure this place stays afloat in tough times." He gestures around him like it's his palace and he's the king.

"So you're going legit then?" I can't keep the surprise from my voice.

"Not exactly."

"Then you probably shouldn't tell me. I'm retired."

"There's no such thing in this line of business. You'll find out real soon that there is no 'retirement'. You either go to jail or you die. There's no leaving."

"I said I'm retired so I'm retired. Anyone try to contradict me, and they'll become personally acquainted with the wrong end of my temper."

"Maybe we should bring the hero you saved in here. I heard you brought him here on a date" the grin cracking across his face slices fear into me, but I master my emotions and keep myself from shaking as I lean forward, lacing my fingers together and resting my elbows on my knees.

"Try to hurt that man and you'll wish you were dead by the time I'm done with you." A flash of metal catches my eye under the lip of the desk and I reach for it, producing a slender knife. I poke it against the tip of my finger, rotating it so it catches the light. A bead of blood trickles down my finger and Fergus watches it as it drips onto the floor. "Maybe you shouldn't keep your toys so out in the open."

"See? You're not going to change"

"I will be whatever monster I need to be to keep those I care about safe." I stand swiftly, firmly planing the knife into his desk to the hilt right next to his hand. He flinches which lets me know I've won. I smirk. "Master yourself, Fergus, it's unbecoming of you to wince at such a slight threat."

"I need you to do one more job for me."

"No." I deadpan, turning my back to him as the last power move, knowing he wouldn't dare hurt me.

"One more and then I'll let you go. No repercussions. No threats. I'll even make sure those that you slighted in the warehouse don't come after you or yours."

"No. I'm done now. And I can keep 'me and mine' safe." My hand is on the door and I'm starting to turn it.

"For old time sake"

"Do you mean for all the shit we've stolen together or the barely adequate sex when we were dating?" I shoot back at him, turning to face him. He stays behind the desk, even as his hands curl into fists. A good call on his part since I'm angry enough to do something that could get me killed.

"Now is not the time to test me, Kagi." He spits my name at me as he stands, only coming close enough to clear his desk and lean back against it "There are many here that would like to know who you came here with."