Chapter 9

Back at my apartment, I just start pacing. Since I cleaned up for Tenya, it's much easier and I don't stub my toes on any hidden dishes under clothes or randomly kick things that aren't in their proper place.

Every time I do a lap in the small space, my eyes snag on Tenya's helmet and I can't stop thinking about our night together and how he's on a date with Ella right now. I want to scream and smash his helmet, but it's not his fault that I called us quits before we even got to... wherever we would have ended up doing.

I fully realize I'm sulking like a teenager, but I don't care enough to correct my mindset.

Without jobs to occupy me tonight, I start spiraling and obsessing. I'm a real life yandere right now and I really need to snap out of it.

Later. Now isn't the time to be reasonable.

I wish Mitch was still alive. He could talk me out of my intrusive thoughts and get my brain to settle. I can't call Martac who has been his replacement. Chris has made it clear that I rely too much on him and I can't help but think I've been keeping him 'captive' in my service. But he would quit if I was too much. Right? Maybe he wouldn't. He felt like he was in debt to Mitch, but I don't know why he would still feel that way toward me. I didn't do anything for him.

I fiddle with the locket that Mitch left for me while I think through my options for the evening. I could take a literal chill pill and relax, or I could double down on my crazy and go spy on Ella and Tenya.

Before I've convinced myself it's a bad idea, my shoes are on and I'm locking my door on my phone as it swings shut behind me.

This is the worst idea I've had in a long time, but there's no going back now. At least that's what I tell myself as I settle behind a bush across the clearing from Ella and Tenya sitting close on a park bench. My limbs get numb as I watch Ella flirt with the hero, laughing and finding excuses to touch his arm. Tenya just looks like he's explaining something to her and my mood lifts every so slightly. I wonder if we looked like this when we ate the other day.

They finish their food and Tenya cleans up before sitting back down next to her and she scoots even closer so their thighs are touching. I can't take it anymore and, without thinking, I stand up and walk toward them.

Realizing that this is actually the dumbest thing I've done this week, I try to turn around and go the other way, but they both make eye contact with me before I can do that. I freeze. I'm sure my face is full of shock and a deep blush in embarrassment.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Ella says with forced politeness, careful not to say my name. Looks like I have a choice to either get closer and talk to them or run in the other direction.

"Just on my way to pick up dinner" I point to the restaurant they came from not too long ago.

"Did you fall into a bush on your way?" She asks, pointing to my hair. I reach up and pick out a few leaves and an actual stick that was lodged there.

"Uh. Yeah. Actually...." I trail off, desperately avoiding Tenya's eyesight because I don't want to look at him. I don't know what his expression is right now but it's the only thing that would break me right now.

"You two know each other?" Tenya asks.

"We've been besties for a couple years now" Ella offers, much to my disappointment.

"Yeah. Besties" I repeat, slowly side stepping to reduce the time that this entanglement takes. I've made a real mess out of this evening.

"Wait." Tenya turns to Ella "I apologize for the abrupt question, but what is your quirk?"