Chapter 14

"What?" I sit up sleepily, rubbing my eyes, trying to get my brain to focus.

"We broke up" there's more sniffling as she presumably rubs her eyes. "I went to visit him in the hospital every day and....and.... It's over."

"Why would he break up with you?" I ask, thinking that he found out about the cheating.

"He didn't break up with me, I broke up with him."

"Why would you do that? I thought you really liked him?"

"I do. I made a mistake at the beginning of our relationship but we talked through it and moved on from it."

"You mean cheating on him, right?"

"How did you know about that?" The sorrow is gone from her voice and replaced with surprise.

"You cheat on half the guys you're with." I state. It's not meant to be cruel, it's just a statement of a fact.

"That's besides the point. We talked about it, and we agreed to move past it." She sighs "but I know our relationship won't go anywhere"

"Did you talk to him about it?" I'm not really sure what I'm trying to do here. Part of me is glad that they're not together anymore, but, as her friend, I guess I want to comfort her and make sure she's okay. Even if we haven't been friendly lately, I still do care about Ella.

"We won't be able to progress as long as you're in the picture."

"What?"

"I know you two fucked. He told me."

"Oh."

"That's all you have to say about it?"

"What do you want me to say? Sorry? I'm not." I stand and start pacing, trying to keep my tempter contained.  "It was before you two started dating, and since you cheated on him, I don't think you have a right to be mad that he slept with ANYone."

"That's not the point I'm trying to get at" I'm slightly annoyed that she didn't deny sleeping with him. Of course they would have after dating for so long. He slept with me on our first 'date' so I know he isn't one of those guys that waits for marriage or anything like that. Not that there's anything wrong with waiting.

"Then what is it?" I ask, letting a little of my temper bleed into my voice.

"I can't stay with a man when I know he'll be thinking about you."

"What?"

"Don't play dumb. You know he hasn't gotten over you"

"There's nothing to get over!" I'm very confused and think I need coffee to clear out the remaining fogginess from the early morning hour.

"Don't be stupid." She spits, clearly angry "he told me. He's very honest, as you know. He told me that he thinks of you often and once while we were.... Together he stopped in the middle because he told me all he could picture was your face."

I don't have words. I appreciate honesty, but for a partner to say that to anyone during such an intimate moment would be too cruel.

"I don't even know why I called you of all people." She sighs, releasing all her anger. "I guess I needed you to know that he was never mine and that when you saved his life the other day, you made sure that he would never forget you."

She hangs up without giving me a chance to reply. I stand in the middle of my small apartment, phone still to my ear as I think about what I just learned.

What she said doesn't seem plausible. I pace in my apartment for far longer than I care to admit and finally decide that this is getting me nowhere. Spiraling thoughts won't help me and the only option I have is to talk to him. The problem is I don't have his number.